RICHMOND HILL and VAUGHAN, ON, May 30, 2016 /CNW/ - Every day, the healthcare team at Mackenzie Health is inspired by the courage and determination shown by patients as they work to regain their health following an injury or illness.
Today, Mackenzie Health welcomed patients to share their stories of resilience and courage at the organization's inaugural Celebrating Patients Day. Each patient shared his or her story of personal triumph and determination at a special evening event followed by a live follow up discussion with Dale Curd, host of the popular CBC television show "Hello Goodbye."
Mackenzie Health was pleased to feature the personal stories of the following individuals as part of its Inaugural Celebrating Patients Day: Your Stories Inspire Us:
- A patient who uses home dialysis and says the required change in lifestyle was one of the best things that ever happened to him;
- A cancer survivor who helps to inspire other patients with her determination and positive outlook;
- A young hemorrhagic stroke survivor who found such inspiration from his own care that he now volunteers in the inpatient stroke unit;
- A cardiac patient who thought that he was doing all the right things to prevent a heart attack with an important message for others;
- A mom of an infant born 10 weeks prematurely who now has a healthy and strong four year old; and
- A recipient of multiple joint replacements due to a genetic condition, who sees every replacement as just another bump in the road in a fulfilling life.
"I continue to be positive and reach out to others. They say 'She's still alive.' It gives them inspiration that cancer is only a chapter, it's not the whole story."
Patient and Celebrating Patient Day participant
"Everyone has a story to tell. At Mackenzie Health we recognize the personal strength and determination required on the journey back to good health. Whether a person has experienced an injury, illness or other significant health challenge, their stories are inspirational and through storytelling and sharing, others can often find strength from the experiences of others."
Susan Kwolek, Executive Vice President,
Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Nursing Executive,
"Every day our staff and physicians see the courage and determination of patients who work hard to recover from illness or injury. Their drive and strength inspired us to take the opportunity to recognize and thank our patients by hosting our inaugural Celebrating Patients Day."
Altaf Stationwala, President and CEO, Mackenzie Health
SOURCE Mackenzie Health
Image with caption: "Mackenzie Health (CNW Group/Mackenzie Health)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160530_C2027_PHOTO_EN_702032.jpg
For further information: Stefanie Kreibe, Communications and Public Affairs Consultant, Mackenzie Health, Tel: (905) 883-1212 ext. 7484, E-mail: email@example.com; Suset Silva, Director, Communications and Public Affairs, Mackenzie Health, Tel: (905) 883-1212 ext. 7498, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org