MONTREAL, Feb. 9 /CNW Telbec/ - Persons aimed by the class action suit instituted by Anahit Cilinger on behalf of patients who experienced wait times for radiotherapy to treat their breast cancer have but a few weeks left to file their claim. Patients eligible for compensation are those who, between October 13, 1997 and March 26, 2009, did not receive chemotherapy and for whom more than 12 weeks elapsed between the hospital's reception of the referral to radio-oncology and the start of their radiotherapy treatment.
For the first time in Canada, legal action has been taken against hospitals on behalf of patients who experienced lengthy wait times for their treatment. This suit involves 12 hospitals. A $5.4 million settlement was approved by the Quebec Superior Court on September 25, 2009.
To receive compensation, anyone eligible, either a patient or a personal representative of a patient now deceased, must register on the Web site www.cancerwaitclaim.com or by telephone at 1-866-ATTENTE (1-866-288-3683).
The 12 hospitals involved are:
- Centre hospitalier universitaire de Montréal (CHUM), Hôpital Notre-Dame
- Centre hospitalier universitaire de Montréal (CHUM), Hôtel-Dieu
- Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont
- Sir Mortimer B. Davis Jewish Hospital
- McGill University Health Center (MUHC), Montreal General Hospital
- McGill University Health Center (MUHC), Royal Victoria Hospital
- Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec (CHUQ), Hôtel-Dieu de Québec
- Centre de santé et de services sociaux de Chicoutimi
- Centre hospitalier de santé et de services sociaux de Gatineau
- Centre universitaire de santé de l'Estrie (now the Centre hospitalier
universitaire de Sherbrooke), Hôpital Fleurimont
- Centre hospitalier régional de Trois-Rivières
- Centre de santé et services sociaux de Rimouski-Neigette
The leading lawyers of this class action are Michel Savonitto and Martine Trudeau of the law firm Lapointe Rosenstein Marchand Melançon.
About Lapointe Rosenstein Marchand Melançon
Lapointe Rosenstein Marchand Melançon is the result of the recent merger of Lapointe Rosenstein and Marchand Melançon Forget law firms. The new firm is one of the largest independent law firms in Quebec with almost 90 lawyers specializing primarily in business law and litigation.
SOURCE LAPOINTE ROSENSTEIN MARCHAND MELANCON
For further information: For further information: Olivier Fillion Boutin, (514) 282-4863, (514) 942-0029 (cell.)