TORONTO, March 2, 2016 /CNW/ -
Media welcome to cover (limited media seating available)
Monday March 7, 2016
Luncheon: 12 noon / Announcement 1:30 p.m.
The Omni King Edward Hotel, King St East, Toronto
This Monday, March 7, one of the five RBC Taylor Prize Finalists will win the $25,000 prize and crystal trophy. The announcement will take place at approximately 1:30 p.m. as part of the shortlist gala luncheon celebration.
The Omni King Edward Hotel, Sovereign Ballroom, Main Level, 37 King St. East, Toronto M5C 1E9
WHO: All five finalists will speak, receive a leatherbound version of their book, and one will be named the winner
Meet this year's 2016 RBC Taylor Prize Finalists and learn about their books:
- Ian Brown (Toronto, Ontario) for Sixty: The Beginning of the End, or the End of the Beginning? published by Random House Canada
- Camilla Gibb (Toronto, Ontario) for This Is Happy, published by Doubleday Canada
- David Halton (Ottawa, Ontario) for Dispatches from the Front: Matthew Halton, Canada's Voice at War, published by McClelland & Stewart
- Wab Kinew (Winnipeg, Manitoba) for The Reason You Walk, published by Viking Canada
- Rosemary Sullivan (Toronto, Ontario) for Stalin's Daughter: The Extraordinary and Tumultuous Life of Svetlana Alliluyeva, published by HarperCollins Publishers
Charles Taylor Foundation Trustees and 2016 Prize Jurors Available for Interview/Comment:
- RBC Taylor Prize Founder, Noreen Taylor; Prize Trustees Dr. David Staines and President of RBC PH&N Investment Counsel Vijay Parmar
- Jurors Susanne Boyce (Toronto, Ontario); Author and Educator Joseph Kertes (Toronto, Ontario), and Professor Stephen J. Toope (Toronto, Ontario)
Established in 1998 to commemorate Charles Taylor's pursuit of excellence in the field of literary non-fiction, this prestigious national book prize celebrates its 15th anniversary this year. It has been a driving force behind the growth and recognition of the literary non-fiction genre and celebrates Canada's rich literary heritage and the exceptional authors who captivate us with their stories.
With the support of its sponsors, this privately funded prize is presented annually to the author whose book best combines a superb command of the English language, an elegance of style, and a subtlety of thought and perception.
The presenting sponsor of the RBC Taylor Prize is RBC Wealth Management. Its media sponsors are The Globe and Mail (exclusive newspaper sponsor), CNW Group, The Huffington Post Canada, Maclean's magazine, and Quill & Quire magazine; its in-kind sponsors are Ben McNally Books, Event Source, IFOA, The Omni King Edward Hotel, and the Toronto Public Library Board.
For more information visit: www.thecharlestaylorprize.ca and follow us @taylorprize
Facebook: RBC Taylor Prize
CNW will be providing a B-Roll of the Winning Announcement. Newsrooms should advise Stephen Weir at Stephen@stephenweir.com if the B-Roll is needed immediately after the announcement is made.
SOURCE RBC Taylor Prize
For further information: Media contacts and for coverage requirements & interviews: Stephen Weir, (416) 489-5868, cell: (416) 801-3101, Stephen@stephenweir.com