OTTAWA, July 13, 2017 /CNW/ - The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs Canada and Associate Minister of National Defence will lead an official Government of Canada delegation to Dieppe, France from August 16-21, 2017, to mark the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid. The delegation will include Veterans, representatives from Indigenous and Veterans organizations, parliamentarians and youth. A contingent of the Canadian Armed Forces made up of units and branches involved in the Raid will also participate in ceremonies and events in France and Canada.
Members of the Media who wish to cover public events commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid must submit a request for accreditation through Veterans Affairs Canada by Friday August 4, 2017. Information required for accreditation includes the individual's name, surname, media outlet and position. Interested media can request accreditation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commemorative ceremonies open to media will take place August 18-20, 2017. Accredited members of the media will be provided with photo and interview opportunities with delegation members and a designated area during ceremonies.
Public commemorative ceremonies include:
- Tribute to the Canadian Airmen, Saint-Aubin-le-Cauf Cemetery
- Ceremony at the Mariner's Memorial, Dieppe Beach
- Ceremony and Vigil at the Dieppe Canadian War Cemetery, Hautot-sur-Mer, Dieppe
- Ceremony at the Royal Regiment of Canada Monument, Puys
- Unveiling of the King's Own Calgary Regiment's new monument, Dieppe Beach
- Ceremony in the Square du Canada, as well as a parade and wreath-laying along the Esplanade
- Ceremony at the Canadian Memorial in Pourville and wreath-laying at Merritt Bridge
For more information on Dieppe 75 events in Canada and France, please visit: veterans.gc.ca/Dieppe75
2017 is a special year of commemoration for Canada, including the Canada 150 celebrations, the 100th anniversaries of the Battles of Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele and the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid.
SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Media inquiries: Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468, email@example.com