Federal Minister Jean-Yves Duclos to speak at CHF Canada AGM
HAMILTON, ON, June 8, 2016 /CNW/ - Thousands of low income co-op residents are sleeping easier after learning their rental assistance will continue for two more years.
The news comes as 700 co-op housing members gather from across the country for the the annual general meeting of the Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada (CHF Canada) in Hamilton, ON.
Federal and provincial funding agreements that assist over 50,000 low-income co-op residents are coming to an end. Without renewed support, low-income households are at serious risk.
A recent announcement from the federal government confirms that subsidies will continue for federally administered co-ops for at least two more years. Jean-Yves Duclos, federal Minister responsible for CMHC is expected to address the subject during a speech to CHF Canada delegates on Saturday June 11, 2016.
- 9:00am Saturday June 11, 2016 – Speech from Minister Jean-Yves Duclos;
- 9:30am Saturday June 11, 2016 – Media availability with co-op housing representatives.
Where: Chedoke Ballroom, Hamilton Convention Centre (1 Summers Lane, Hamilton, ON)
- Jean-Yves Duclos, federal Minister of Families, Children and Social Development,
- Anne Davidson, President, and Nicholas Gazzard, Executive Director of CHF Canada;
- Representatives from housing co-ops awaiting subsidy renewal.
- Remarks from Minister Jean-Yves Duclos, federal Minister of Families, Children and Social Development;
- Presentation from residents of co-op homes where rent subsidies will be extended, including huge gold photo op key representing the campaign to renew rental assistance
CHF Canada is the national voice of the Canadian co-operative housing movement. Its members include over 900 non-profit housing co-operatives and other organizations across Canada. More than a quarter of a million Canadians live in housing co-ops, in every province and territory.
SOURCE Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada
For further information: Tim Ross, Program Manager, Policy and Government Relations, 613-314-6267, firstname.lastname@example.org; Scott Jackson, Program Manager, National Communications, 778-227-3864, email@example.com