TORONTO, March 19, 2016 /CNW/ - On Sunday afternoon, members of Black Lives Matter – Toronto will hold an action with Black community members in Nathan Phillips Square to denounce police impunity in the slaying of Andrew Loku. Community members have waited over eight months for the Ontario Government's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) to complete an investigation and announce whether the police officers who murdered Brother Loku would be criminally charged. Black Lives Matter – Toronto has condemned the SIU decision to forgo charges on the officers responsible for Loku's homicide in a statement released here: https://www.facebook.com/blacklivesmatterTO/posts/478035269058635?pnref=story
What: An action to condemn the Special Investigations Unit decision not to indict the officers responsible for Andrew Loku's slaying
When: Sunday, March 20, 2016
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Where: Nathan Phillips Square
Who: Black Lives Matter – Toronto
Black Lives Matter-Toronto have delivered these demands to the Mayor John Tory and Police Chief Mark Saunders:
1. The immediate release of the name(s) of the officers that Killed Andrew Loku & Jermaine.
2. Charges to be laid against the officers who killed Mr. Loku.
3. A confirmation that the police officers who killed Mr. Loku are off the streets.
4. The immediate and public release of any video footage from the apartment complex where Andrew Loku was murdered.
6. Monetary compensation for the family of Andrew Loku.
Black Lives Matter-Toronto is the Toronto chapter of #BlackLivesMatter, an international organization and movement fighting anti-Black racism all over the world.
SOURCE Black Lives Matter Toronto
For further information: For inquiries, contact (in English): Sandy Hudson at email@example.com or 416-722-8842; Rodney Diverlus at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-456-8476. (In French): Bilan Arte at email@example.com or 613-882-7654; Chrys Saget-Richard at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-888-4559