MONTREAL, May 15, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - Some 150 international speakers and over 3,000 attendees are expected at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth from June 9 to 12 for the 20th edition of the Conference of Montreal, organized by the International Economic Forum of the Americas. A true world-class event for the business world since its inception, the Conference of Montreal celebrates its twentieth anniversary this year with the theme "The Foundation for the Next Era of Growth".
The honorary Co-Chairs of this year's event are Angel Gurría, Secretary General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Gérard Mestrallet, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of GDF SUEZ.
The Conference of Montreal takes place over three days and is organized around three major themes that attract international interest. These themes are the economy, governance and pension, energy, natural resources and sustainable development, and finally, international trade, innovation and health.
June 9: Economy, Governance and Pension
The Conference of Montreal will begin Monday, June 9, with the sub-theme "Economy, governance and pension". During this first day, economic and political decision-makers present will discuss the foundations of a sustainable economic recovery, and the role of long-term investors as part of a new era of economic development and strategic risks. An entire panel is also dedicated to challenges and solutions related to retirement on a global scale.
- Christian Noyer, Governor, Bank of France, and Chairman, Bank for International Settlements (BIS);
- Glenn Hutchins, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Silver Lake Partners;
- Shaukat Aziz, Former Prime Minister of Pakistan (2004-2007), and Former Executive Vice President, Citibank;
- Angel Gurria, Secretary-General, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and Co-Chair, 20th edition of the Conference of Montreal;
- Lawrence Summers, Charles W. Eliot University Professor, Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government; U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, 1999-2001.
Furthermore, the Conference of Montreal will welcome Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of International Monetary Fund (IMF). "We are very fortunate to welcome Ms. Lagarde who is very involved in the discussions and decisions regarding global economic issues. This is a great way to celebrate the Conference of Montreal's 20th anniversary, which has become one of the most important economic forums in the world", rejoiced Mr. Gil Rémillard, Founding Chairman and Mr. Nicholas Rémillard, President and Chief Executive Officer of the International Economic Forum of the Americas.
June 10: Energy, Natural Resources and Sustainable Development
The second day will focus on the areas of energy, natural resources and sustainable development. Specifically, participants will have the opportunity to hear speakers discuss the imperative for sustainable growth in the exploitation of natural resources and the role of infrastructures in economic development, as well as hear on the evolution of the worldwide energy map, shaken by the high American energy growth and the development of natural gas markets.
- Russell K. Girling, President and Chief Executive Officer, TransCanada;
- Tan Sri Dato' Shamsul Azhar Abbas, President and Group Chief Executive, Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS);
- Maria van der Hoeven, Executive Director, International Energy Agency (IEA);
- Bernard Kouchner, Former Minister of Foreign and European Affairs, French Republic (2007-2010); and Co-Founder, Doctors Without Borders;
- Bertrand Badré, Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer, The World Bank Group.
June 11: International Trade, Health and Innovation
Wednesday, June 11, will be an opportunity to address international trade, health and innovation, through lectures on the emergence of new trade routes, on the role of innovation in the agricultural and medical sectors, on the Artic development, and on the new world industrial map.
- Pascal Lamy, Former Director General, World Trade Organisation (WTO)(2005-2013);
- Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, President, Republic of Island;
- Avi Reichental, President and Chief Executive Officer, 3D Systems;
- John G. Rice, Vice Chairman, GE;
- Amadou Diallo, Chief Executive Officer, DHL Freight.
The program of the 2014 Conference of Montreal is regularly updated and is available at: http://forum-americas.org/montreal
Conference of Montreal Partners
The Conference of Montreal thanks its partners: Power Corporation of Canada, the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Dentons, the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF), RBC Capital Markets, Finance Montréal, Hydro-Québec, Investissement Québec, Sanofi, TransCanada, the International Organisation of La Francophonie, Export Development Canada (EDC), GDF SUEZ, QG100, RioTinto Alcan, Total, Ville de Montréal, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), BNP Paribas (Canada), Cogeco, McKinsey & Company, the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Garda World, L'Impériale, Desjardins, McGill University, SNC Lavalin, Government of Ontario, the École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS), Ernst & Young, Association canadienne des producteurs pétroliers, Centre d'études et de recherches internationales (CÉRIUM), the Université de Montréal, Montréal International, HEC Montréal, Air France, Oxygène, Concordia University, General Electric, Génome Québec, le Conseil du patronat du Québec, Tourisme Montréal, VIA Rail , Government of Canada, le gouvernement du Québec, La Presse, Worth, Forces, The Globe & Mail, CNW Telbec, Cohn & Wolfe, World Energy Council, and OECD.
About the International Economic Forum of the Americas and Conference of Montreal
For the last 20 years, the Conference of Montreal has been committed to heightening knowledge and awareness of the major issues concerning economic globalization, with a particular emphasis on the relations between the Americas and other continents. The Conference also strives to foster exchanges of information, to promote free discussion and facilitate meetings to develop international trade, inviting political, economic, trade union and cultural leaders to speak out on the great issues of our time.
For more information and for accreditation of national and international journalists and media professionals, or to arrange an interview with one of the speakers listed above, please contact Sophie Roy at: 1 844-778-7296 or email@example.com
Please note that some speakers are available for interviews.
SOURCE: INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC FORUM OF THE AMERICAS
For further information: Sophie Roy, Media Relations, 514 845-7025, firstname.lastname@example.org