Colombian Agro-industrial exports to Canada increased by 27 percent in 2013, providing new and exotic options for the Canadian marketplace
MONTREAL, March 27, 2014 /CNW/ - (Pxp) -- Proexport Colombia announced today its presence at SIAL Canada, along with 5 top Colombian food companies. Taking place April 2-4, 2014 in Montreal, Canada, the food & beverage tradeshow brings together food-industry leaders, promoting new business opportunities and network for exhibitors and attendees alike. With Colombia's diverse product offerings, including fresh produce, exotic fruit, chocolate, gourmet coffee, palm oil, sugar and honey, the event provides a unique opportunity for Canadian importers to experience new flavors and ingredients.
"With the existing Free Trade Agreement between Colombia and Canada, Canadian importers have been able to easily experience the benefits of buying Colombia's premium quality products," said Maria Claudia Lacouture, President of Proexport, the Colombian government agency charged with promoting trade, investment and tourism. "This then gives Canadian consumers the chance to enjoy all of Colombia's gourmet and exotic offerings."
In 2013, Colombian agro-industrial exports increased by 27% to USD$27.2 million, with sugars and honeys leading the way, followed by cocoa derived products and processed fruits according to recent data provided by the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism. Suppliers of these products, in addition to many more, will participate in SIAL Canada. Amongst the most competitive Colombian companies in attendance include:
- Casa Luker - One of the largest Colombian chocolatiers, Casa Luker is well-known for its versatility and production capabilities. Casa Luker will present its chocolate and chocolate-derived products, including cocoa, which is an ideal ingredient for the preparation of hot cocoa drinks, a traditional Colombian custom.
- CI Tequendama - CI Tequendama is part of Colombia's Daboon Group and is dedicated to the reliable production of high quality organic palm oil. Cultivated around the Northern-most part of Colombia, the product is part of the company's sustainable agriculture.
- Amor Perfecto– Dedicated to producing high quality specialized coffee, Amor Perfecto has been in the market for over 15 years. The company is committed to the highest coffee standards, with 100 percent Arabica beans from various regions of Colombia.
- Descafecol - Coffee is one of Colombia's most important exports and Descafecol provides an extensive portfolio of gourmet products including decaffeinated coffee, instant coffee, coffee oil and coffee extract.
- C.I de Azucares y Mieles (CIAMSA) – CIAMSA produces nearly 6,000 tons of sugar each year, making up one third of Colombia's total production. As one of the largest sugar exporters, CIAMSA products include refined, raw and organic sugar.
Colombia can supply Canada's needs for natural, fresh and exotic foods. Exporters utilize their extensive experience to develop a successful business partnership with their Canadian counterparts, with duty-free benefits under the FTA.
For more information, please visit Colombia at SIAL Canada at booth #1911.
About Proexport Colombia
Proexport is the Colombian Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism entity in charge of promoting Direct Foreign Investment (DFI) and international tourism toward Colombia and promoting the non–mining energy exports of the country.
SOURCE: Proexport Colombia