Post Tropical Storm Arthur - What Now?

HALIFAX, July 8, 2014 /CNW/ - Many people across Atlantic Canada are dealing with the aftermath of Post Tropical Storm Arthur. In particular, some residents of New Brunswick have been severely affected, with localized damage having occurred in both Nova Scotia and PEI.  With recovery efforts now underway across the region, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is a helpful resource with respect to insurance questions.

"IBC and the insurance industry understand the toll these types of severe weather events can take on families," stated Amanda Dean, IBC Vice President, Atlantic Region. "We want to make the recovery go as smoothly as possible for all affected residents. Insurance representatives and adjusters are ready to help. They have already begun fielding inquiries and processing claims."

Anyone with general questions regarding their home, auto or business insurance can contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-800-565-7189 ext. 228 or visit We are here to help.

Here are things to keep in mind when making an insurance claim:  

Contact Your Insurance Representative

  • If you have not already done so, contact your insurance representative to report any damage and to determine exactly what is covered under your policy.

What's Covered by Home Insurance

  • Wind-related damage caused by a storm.
  • Damage to your house, shed or fence caused by fallen trees, depending upon your policy the cost of cleaning up the tree debris may also be covered.
  • Roof Damage from rain entering through a broken windows or a damaged roof is generally covered, but may not be covered on some policies. Check the wording on your policy for specific details.
  • Loss of freezer contents due to an extended power outage, check with your own insurance representative to see what your policy covers.

What's Covered by Auto Insurance (with Comprehensive and All Risk Coverage)

  • Flood damage to your car.
  • Wind damage, such as a broken windshield caused by debris.

Easing the claims process

  • Given the severity of the storm in certain parts of Atlantic Canada, insurance companies are handling a large number of claims. Rest assured that once you have reported a loss, and an adjuster will be assigned. It may take some time, but you will be contacted by the insurer.
  • If you have not already done so, start taking pictures or video of the damage to your property.
  • If it is safe to do so, start cleaning up and drying things out, and protect your property from further damage (e.g., board up holes and move items out of wet basements).

Frequently Asked Questions

My home was damaged by a fallen tree. Is that covered?

  • If a tree has fallen on your house, shed or fence, the damage is likely covered, along with the cost of cleaning up debris.
  • If a tree has fallen on your car, you will be covered as long as you have Comprehensive or All Risk coverage for your automobile (subject to your deductible).
  • Every policy is unique, so speak with your insurance representative to review your coverage.

My roof was damaged and this resulted in water damage to my home. Will my insurance take care of this?

  • Damage to your home and contents resulting from water entering through an opening created by the storm may be covered under home insurance policies. Check with your own insurance representative as some policies contain an exclusion for any roof damage.   

Will my insurance policy cover spoiled food due to power outages?

  • Most home owners, condominium and tenant policies cover loss of freezer contents in the event of an extended power outage. Check with your insurance representative to see if you have this coverage, and if any limits or deductibles apply. 

Is flood damage covered?

  • Currently, home insurance policies in Atlantic Canada do not provide coverage for overland flooding caused by water entering your home through windows or doors.

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is pleased to celebrate 50 years as a valuable resource for insurance information. Since 1964, IBC has been working with governments across Canada to make our communities safer, championing issues that directly affect Canadians and the property and casualty (P&C) insurance industry. IBC is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the P&C insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 118,600 Canadians, pays more than $7 billion in taxes to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total premium base of $46 billion.

To view media releases and other information, visit the media section of IBC's website at Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau or like us on Facebook.

If you require more information, IBC spokespeople are available to discuss the details in this media release.

SOURCE: Insurance Bureau of Canada

For further information: To schedule an interview, please contact: Celyeste Power, Manager, Media Relations, Insurance Bureau of Canada, 416-362-2031 x-4312 (daytime), 647-384-9872 (after hours),


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890