Broad support underscored by VIPs from the Ontario Government, OPG and TD Bank Group
TORONTO, May 17, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, representatives from the Ontario cabinet, utilities and organized labour officially opened the Plug'n Drive Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre in northern Toronto. It's the world's first experiential learning facility dedicated to electric vehicle (EV) education and awareness – and it's completely free for consumers.
"The EV Discovery Centre will serve as an EV hub for consumers throughout Ontario and for visitors from around the world," Cara Clairman, President and CEO of Plug'n Drive said. "We are providing a one-stop-shop where consumers can explore and test-drive the latest EV models – alongside charging solutions at home and on the road."
Ontario's Climate Change Action Plan aims to expand EV sales to 5 per cent of all new vehicles sold by 2020. The EV Discovery Centre is a key component in accomplishing this goal.
"We are investing proceeds from Ontario's carbon market into Plug'n Drive's Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre to encourage more Ontarians to make the switch to low-carbon transportation and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions," Minister Glen Murray added. "As part of Ontario's Climate Change Action, we are helping to tackle emissions from the transportation sector, which is the single-largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in the province."
The EVDC is a learning centre that provides visitors with the knowledge they need to consider an EV for their next vehicle purchase. After visitors have expressed interest, the EVDC will refer them to an EV-certified dealership in their area.
"Our research shows that Ontario needs effective EV education and awareness raising initiatives, such as Plug'n Drive's EV Discovery Centre, to speed up EV sales," Clairman concluded. "EVs are fast, dependable and affordable – and they are a key part of a low carbon future for the region and beyond."
About the EV Discovery Centre
The centre is a public-private partnership between Plug'n Drive, the Province of Ontario, TD Bank Group, Ontario Power Generation (OPG), Power Workers' Union (PWU), Toronto Hydro and Bruce Power. Located at 1126 Finch Avenue West in North York, the centre features:
- Indoor showcase of the latest EV models and charging stations from leading manufacturers
- Toronto Hydro powered: Four public charging stations in the test drive zone
- PWU sponsored interactive digital displays to engage consumers on EV technology, Ontario's electricity sector, climate change and other related topics
- The OPG Power Place: training facility for corporate and stakeholder engagement events for up to 100 people sponsored by Ontario Power Generation
- Bruce Power Coffee Bar: complimentary for visitors surrounded by educational exhibits on home charging
- TD Zone offering information on EV exclusive financing and insurance options
About Plug'n Drive
Plug'n Drive is a non-profit organization committed to accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles to maximize their environmental and economic benefits.
SOURCE Plug'n Drive
For further information: Media contact: Brian Millar, Plug'n Drive, 647-717-6941 (day), 647-780-6806 (night), email@example.com