PhotoSensitive's "Cancer Connections" Photography Exhibition in Partnership
with the Canadian Cancer Society on display at Major's Hill Park, from June 1
to 10, 2010

Final showing of exhibition showcases the many different stories of cancer told by Canadians' photo contributions

OTTAWA, June 1 /CNW/ - Ellen Heide has had both breasts removed after suffering from breast cancer and is still living with the disease. "They say there is a 47% chance that my cancer will come back," says Ellen. "I say there is a 53% chance that it won't."

This caption describes just one of the hundreds of images and stories being unveiled today at the Ottawa launch and final showing of Cancer Connections, a travelling exhibition of black and white photographs. Since 2008, the photos have been seen by thousands of people all across Canada. They capture the many ways that cancer affects people's lives.

Cancer Connections will be on display and free to the public at Major's Hill Park from Tuesday, June 1 until Thursday, June 10. The launch, being held today, features speakers:

    
        -  MC - Don Newman, political broadcaster

        -  Jack Layton, MP, cancer survivor

        -  Jimm Simon, Chair, Canadian Cancer Society

        -  Andrew Stawicki, award-winning photographer and co-founder of
           PhotoSensitive

        -  Marilyn Jarrett, photographer
    

It is hoped that the exhibition will have reached the target of collecting 1,000 images by the time it opens in Ottawa. The photographs, submitted by professional and amateur photographers from across Canada, also form part of a virtual exhibition on the Cancer Connections website and will be permanently captured in a book and DVD. Details are available on www.photosensitive.com/cc.

PhotoSensitive partnered with the Canadian Cancer Society to bring the Cancer Connections exhibition to cities across Canada. It visited each province and was showcased in Vancouver, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Montreal, St. John, Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's, Toronto and now Ottawa.

"Two in five Canadians face a diagnosis of cancer in their lifetimes," says Peter Goodhand, President and CEO, Canadian Cancer Society "Cancer Connections has given Canadians a forum to share how this disease has changed their lives, and has provided a unique, accessible way to bring people, communities and the nation together.

"These photos reveal what's at the heart of dealing with cancer, it's very real and very personal. No two stories are the same. While many people may hear the words 'you've got cancer', each person's life is affected differently by those same words. This is why the Canadian Cancer Society fights cancer in many different ways. We do everything we can to prevent cancer, save lives and support people living with cancer."

"The vision of PhotoSensitive and the purpose of Cancer Connections is to invite Canadians to tell their story of living with cancer, in their own words, through the power of black and white photography, and by sharing, be a catalyst for engaging and connecting the whole nation in conversations about cancer," says Andrew Stawicki, co-founder of PhotoSensitive.

Chase Card Services, presenting sponsor of the traveling exhibition, is the credit card division of JPMorgan Chase & Company. Chase Card Services is the second largest issuer of Visa and MasterCard globally.

PhotoSensitive is a non-profit, national collective of photographers that harnesses the power of the camera to contribute to dialogue and impact on important issues of the day. For the past 20 years, the sum of these visions has provided compelling social comments on issues such as AIDS, child poverty, hospital care, health, racism, injustice, literacy among First Nations peoples, and the aftermath of the tsunami disaster, to name a few. Cancer Connections is its most ambitious project to date. Utilizing photographers across Canada to photograph issues that impact the well-being of Canadians, PhotoSensitive uses the camera to tell a story, spur viewers to action and change the world, one photo at a time.

Canadian Cancer Society

The Canadian Cancer Society fights cancer by doing everything we can to prevent cancer, save lives and support people living with cancer. Join the fight! Go to fightback.ca to find out how you can help. When you want to know more about cancer, visit our website at cancer.ca or call our toll-free bilingual Cancer Information Service at 1-888 939-3333.

Chase Canada

Since 1965, JPMorgan Chase has provided Corporate and Investment Banking products and services to the Canadian market under the JPMorgan brand. In 2005, the company expanded and became the credit card issuer of the Sears MasterCard and Sears Card in Canada. Today, Chase Card Services also offers the Best Buy and Future Shop Cards, the Best Buy Reward Zone Visa program and the Marriott Rewards Platinum Visa Card. JPMorgan Chase employs more than 1,600 people in its offices across Canada.

Chase applauds the Canadian Cancer Society's mission to eradicate cancer and to enhance the quality of life of people living with cancer. Cancer Connections is a tremendous vehicle for bringing this important mission to life, while celebrating the lives of cancer survivors and giving hope to those who have been touched by cancer.

/NOTE TO PHOTO EDITORS: A photo accompanying this release is available at http://photos.newswire.ca. Images are free to accredited members of the media/

SOURCE Canadian Cancer Society (National Office)

For further information: For further information: For interviews and additional information, contact: Canadian Cancer Society, Alexa Giorgi, Bilingual Communications Specialist, (416) 528-1789, agiorgi@cancer.ca; PhotoSensitive, James Burns, Coordinator, (905) 282-9074, james@photosensitive.com


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890