TORONTO, Oct. 30 /CNW/ -
- Founded in December 1998, PayPal is a leading global online payment
- PayPal has more than 8 million registered accounts in Canada.
- PayPal has 78 million active registered accounts(1) (200 million total
accounts) and is available in 190 markets.
- PayPal supports payments in 19 currencies including: Canadian Dollars,
U.S. Dollars, Australian Dollars, Euros, Pounds Sterling, Japanese
Yen, Chinese RMB, Czech Koruna, Danish Krone, Hong Kong Dollar,
Hungarian Forint, New Zealand Dollar, Norwegian Krone, Polish Zloty,
Singapore Dollar, Swedish Krona, Swiss Franc, Mexican Peso and Israeli
- In addition to PayPal Canada, PayPal has local Web sites in 17 markets
including Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, France, Germany, Hong
Kong, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Singapore,
Switzerland, Poland, the United States and the United Kingdom.
- PayPal maintains a very low loss rate due to fraud - 0.25 per cent,
just one quarter of one per cent.
- PayPal is headquartered in San Jose, Calif. with offices in Timonium,
Md. It's Canadian operations are headquartered in Toronto. Its
European headquarters is in Luxembourg and its international
headquarters is located in Singapore. PayPal has operation centers
located near Omaha, Neb. and Dublin, Ireland. PayPal has development
centers in Austin, Tx., Scottsdale, Ariz., Singapore, and Chennai,
E-COMMERCE IN cANADA
- Canadians purchase more than $2 billion online annually through PayPal
and PayPal payment volume is Canada is growing more than three times
the rate of e-commerce.
- Every 1.2 seconds, a Canadian makes a purchase with their PayPal
account and 1,000 times every 22 minutes a PayPal merchant receives a
- Over 1,000 cross-border transactions are made every hour.
- Almost 20 per cent of Canadians make three or more online purchases
per month (comScore 2009).
- Ninety per cent of Canadians do their online shopping exclusively from
home and only one per cent of Canadians shop online exclusively from
work (comScore 2009).
- One-in-10 Canadians abandon a full online shopping cart more than
twice per month (comScore 2009).
- Half of Canadians who abandoned an online shopping cart clicked on the
checkout button just to get additional information, such as shipping
- High shipping costs was the number one reason Canadians (55 per cent)
decided not to go through with an e-commerce transaction (comScore
Q3 2009 Financials
- PayPal's revenues now represent 31 per cent of eBay Inc. companywide
- PayPal revenues for Q3 2009 were 688 million, up 15 per cent year over
- PayPal's international business was 44 per cent of revenues in Q3
- PayPal's Total Payment Volume, the total value of transactions in Q3
2009 was nearly $17.7 billion, up 19 per cent year over year.
- Merchant Services Total Payment Volume was $9.9 billion in Q3 2009, up
31 per cent year over year.
- Merchant Services Total Payment Volume as a per cent of Total Payment
Volume was approximately 56 per cent in Q3 2009.
- eBay Total Payment Volume as a per cent of Total Payment Volume was
approximately 43 per cent in Q3 2009.
- Bill Me Later Total Payment Volume as a per cent of Total Payment
Volume was approximately 1 per cent in Q3 2009.
- PayPal transacted about $2,226 in Total Payment Volume every second in
- PayPal accounts contain approximately $3 billion in stored value that
is spent every 2 weeks.
2008 full-year financials
- PayPal's 2008 full-year revenue was $2.4 billion, up 25 per cent year
- PayPal's net Total Payment Volume for 2008, the total value of
transactions, was $60 billion, up 27 per cent year over year.
- PayPal's Total Payment Volume in 2008 represented nearly 9 per cent of
global e-commerce and 15 per cent of US e-commerce. (based on
Forrester estimates of US e-commerce with the addition of eBay Inc.
internal metrics totaling $256B)
- Merchant Services processed $29.5 billion in Total Payment Volume in
2008, up 48 per cent year over year.
- PayPal's Payflow Gateway processed $72.5 billion in Total Payment
Volume in 2008.
- In Q3 08, PayPal's TPV off eBay exceeded volume on eBay for the first
- In Q4 08, PayPal Merchant Services revenue reached the billion-dollar
mark, up 45 per cent year over year.
(1) Active accounts are those that have had activity in the past 12
SOURCE PayPal Canada
For further information: For further information: media please contact: Nicole Tuschak, Environics, (on behalf of PayPal Canada), email@example.com, (416) 969-2712