TORONTO, Dec. 14, 2015 /CNW/ - OPSEU President Warren (Smokey) Thomas has launched a provincewide campaign to raise awareness of the crisis that is shaking Ontario's correctional system.
Elements of the campaign include:
- a speaking tour of the province by Thomas
- personal invitations from Thomas to all MPPs to tour a correctional facility with him
- radio ads that will air in all major Ontario markets
The radio spots feature real correctional and probation and parole officers speaking out on issues they grapple with every day. They include:
- chronic staffing shortages that cause hundreds of lockdowns annually
- high rates of post-traumatic stress disorder and early death rates due to shocking workplace stress and violence
- the highest probation and parole caseloads in Canada
- serious workplace and community safety concerns
- a lack of mental health, anger management and employment programs
You can listen to the five radio spots by clicking on the links.
Thomas said Ontarians need to be told the truth about government underfunding and mismanagement of the correctional system. "Our correctional and probation and parole officers want Ontario residents to live with peace of mind in safe communities. But government neglect of the correctional system is putting families and neighbourhoods at risk.
"Our correctional officers are frustrated and exhausted. Jails are bulging at the seams. Living and working conditions are horrific. Violence is rampant. We're sitting on a powder keg while the government plays the fiddle.
"I've invited every MPP to join me on a tour of a jail to see for themselves what it's like to work or live in a correctional facility. Maybe it's the only way to finally get some action out of a government that's shut its eyes to the crisis in Ontario corrections."
SOURCE Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
Audio with caption: "Radio Spot 1". Audio available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2015/12/14/20151214_C7359_AUDIO_EN_563382.mp3
Audio with caption: "Radio Spot 2". Audio available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2015/12/14/20151214_C7359_AUDIO_EN_563384.mp3
Audio with caption: "Radio Spot 3". Audio available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2015/12/14/20151214_C7359_AUDIO_EN_563386.mp3
Audio with caption: "Radio Spot 4". Audio available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2015/12/14/20151214_C7359_AUDIO_EN_563388.mp3
Audio with caption: "Radio Spot 5". Audio available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2015/12/14/20151214_C7359_AUDIO_EN_563390.mp3
For further information: Greg Hamara, OPSEU Communications Officer, 416-443-8888, ext. 8777