BARRE, Vt., Oct. 12, 2016 /CNW/ -- Northern Power Systems Corp. (TSX: NPS), a next generation renewable energy technology company, confirms the continued performance of its remote fleet with turbines performing through both Hurricane Matthew in the Caribbean, as well as Typhoon Chaba in the Jeju region of South Korea.
Northern Power turbines at Over Yonder Cay in the Bahamas have now performed through three hurricanes without damage, most recently, experiencing winds of over 135 miles per hour and at least one direct lightning strike with no damage sustained. Throughout the storm the turbines performed as designed, shutting down in high winds and restarting when conditions were safe, all without human intervention.
Gordon Scott Metcalf, Renewable Energy Engineer at Over Yonder Cay, stated, "Having seen the Northern Power turbines perform through previous hurricanes, we were confident to operate the turbines through Hurricane Matthew. The turbines performed perfectly and helped us repower the island immediately once the wind speed dropped to within the usable limits. The Northern Power service team was in constant contact with us ensuring that any support, if it had been needed, was available."
During the same timeframe, six additional Northern Power turbines were performing during Typhoon Chaba on three separate islands located off the southern coast of South Korea. The Jeju region was one of the areas worst affected by the typhoon, which is thought to be the worst to hit the area in over a decade. On Gasa-do, Geocha-do and Jeju-do the turbines performed as designed and without damage through winds of over 75 miles per hour.
Ciel Caldwell, Northern Power Systems President and Chief Operating Officer concluded, "Whether it is island installations or our Arctic fleet, Northern Power Systems turbines are proven to deliver in environmentally challenging remote regions. With approximately one million run hours of proven off-grid fleet performance, our customers can have confidence that choosing a Northern Power Systems turbine for remote installation is the right decision. Our third generation distributed wind turbine platform has been optimized for increased energy production and we now offer a tilt-up tower with installation managed by Northern Power Systems to make it even easier for remote customers to benefit from wind energy and the resulting lower diesel fuel consumption."
About Northern Power Systems
Northern Power Systems designs, manufactures, and sells wind turbines and power technology products, and provides engineering development services and technology licenses for energy applications, into the global marketplace from its US headquarters and European offices.
- Northern Power Systems has almost 40 years' experience in technologies and products generating renewable energy.
- Northern Power Systems currently manufactures the NPS™ 60 and NPS™ 100 turbines. With over 12 million run time hours across its global fleet, Northern Power wind turbines provide customers with clean, cost effective, reliable renewable energy.
- Patented next generation permanent magnet direct drive (PMDD) technology uses fewer moving parts, delivers higher energy capture, and provides increased reliability due to reduced maintenance and downtime.
- Northern Power Systems' FlexPhase™ power converter platform uses patented converter architecture and advanced controls technology for advanced grid support and generation applications.
- Northern Power Systems offers comprehensive in‐house development services, including systems level engineering, advanced drivetrains, power electronics, PM machine design, and remote monitoring systems to the energy industry.
To learn more about Northern Power Systems, please visit www.northernpower.com.
For more information, please reach out to Info@NorthernPower.com
SOURCE Northern Power Systems Corp.