Thin and light design lets you easily take your full library with you on-the-go
Export your notes and highlights—easily print them for your book club, and more
First Kindle with built-in Bluetooth audio support for better accessibility—visually impaired users can now use the VoiceView screen reader to read a book without an adaptor
SEATTLE, June 22, 2016 /CNW/ - Amazon.ca today introduced the all-new Kindle, making its most affordable reader thinner, lighter, and with twice the memory as the previous generation for the same price, just $79.99. Kindle is available at www.amazon.ca/kindle.
"Tens of millions of readers around the world have Kindle e-readers and today, we're excited to make our most affordable Kindle even better, while keeping the same breakthrough price point," said Arthur van Rest, General Manager, Kindle. "With a thinner and lighter design, twice the memory, and all the features customers love about Kindle, it has never been a better time to be a reader."
Kindle—Thinner, Lighter, Still Only $79.99
The all-new Kindle is thinner and lighter and has twice the memory compared to the previous generation Kindle. The new Kindle features a more rounded design, making it easy and comfortable to hold in one hand at any angle for extended reading sessions. Unlike reflective tablet and smartphone screens, the high contrast touchscreen display on Kindle eliminates glare in any setting, even in direct sunlight. Recent studies have shown that evening exposure to blue light from backlit screens like tablets and smartphones can suppress the body's production of melatonin, a naturally occurring hormone that helps the body fall asleep. Because the Kindle display emits no light, you can read anytime without losing sleep. Like all Kindle e-readers, the all-new Kindle has a battery life that lasts for weeks and not hours.
New Reading Features
Kindle comes with Amazon's newest reading features, including:
- Export Notes—It's now easy to export notes and highlights from a book to your e-mail, so you can always have them on-hand for reference. Receive your notes both as an easily printable PDF that's ready to bring to your book club, and as a simple file you can open in your favorite spreadsheet app. This feature will be available as part of a free, over-the-air software update in the coming weeks.
- Built-in Bluetooth audio for accessibility—The first Kindle with built-in Bluetooth audio support, Kindle makes it possible for visually impaired users to use the VoiceView screen reader on Kindle to read the content of the screen—including reading books and other Kindle content—without the need for an adaptor. This is enabled through a new out-of-box experience specifically for visually-impaired customers that allows them to pair their Kindle with Bluetooth headphones or a speaker.
- Personalized Home Screen—An updated interface and navigation makes it even easier to discover your next favorite book, manage Wish Lists, and see recommendations from friends via Goodreads. To learn more, visit www.amazon.ca/kindleupdate.
All the Features Readers Love about Kindle
The new Kindle includes all of the features that have made the Kindle family the most popular e-readers in the world for eight years running:
- New Fonts—Fonts like Bookerly, Ember, and OpenDyslexic provide more choice for customers on top of the world class fonts already available on Kindle.
- Weeks of battery life—Battery life is measured in weeks, not hours.
- No set-up required—Kindle arrives pre-registered so you can start reading immediately.
- Whispersync—Saves and synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations across all of your devices and Kindle apps, so you can always pick up where you left off.
- Worry-free archive—Automatically backs up your Kindle books in the cloud, so you never need to worry about losing your books—re-download your books wirelessly anytime for free.
- Goodreads—Kindle is integrated with the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations, with over 50 million members, 1.5 billion books added, and 50 million book reviews.
- X-Ray—Explore the "Bones of the Book"—see all of the passages across a book that mention relevant ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places, or topics of interest.
- Word Wise—Available on many popular English language titles, Word Wise makes it easier to enjoy and quickly understand more challenging books. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading with fewer interruptions.
- Kindle FreeTime—Gives parents a simple, engaging way to encourage kids to spend more time reading. Hand-select books for your kids to read, and achievement badges are earned when they hit reading milestones.
- Time to Read—Tells you how much time it will take to finish a chapter or a book based on your personalized reading speed.
- Vocabulary Builder—Compiles words you look up in the dictionary into an easy-to-access list. Use these lists to quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see words in context.
- Share your favorite passages—Share book recommendations, highlighted sections, and meaningful quotes with friends via Facebook and Twitter.
- Smart Lookup—Integrates a full dictionary definition with other reference information via X-Ray and Wikipedia.
- Custom-Built Typesetting Engine—Word and character spacing, with hyphenation, justification, ligatures, and kerning lays out the pages just as the author intended.
World's Best eBook Store
Kindle e-readers come with instant access to the Kindle Store, which includes:
- Massive selection—Millions of books including the latest best sellers, Canadian authors, Kindle Singles, and over 200,000 French language titles.
- Kindle exclusives—Hundreds of thousands of books are exclusive to the Kindle Store.
- Lowest book prices—Over a million titles are $4.99 or less, over 2 million are $9.99 or less.
- Kindle Unlimited—Enjoy unlimited reading of over 1,000,000 books and over 25,000 books in French for just $9.99 a month.
The all-new Kindle is still just $79.99 and is available for pre-order around the world and will start shipping in the coming weeks. Pre-order now at www.amazon.ca/kindle.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about.
Image with caption: "Introducing the all-new Kindle – Thinner, lighter and still only $79.99. (CNW Group/Amazon.ca)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160622_C4386_PHOTO_EN_719593.jpg
For further information: Andrew Gouveia, NATIONAL Public Relations, email@example.com, 416-848-1385.