Activity on Canada's derivatives exchange reaches new highs to close the year
MONTRÉAL, Jan. 6, 2016 /CNW/ - TMX Group today announced that Montréal Exchange (MX) set a new total volume record in 2015 with 76.7 million contracts traded, breaking the previous record of 70.0 million contracts established in 2014. A surge in activity in several key MX products contributed to the 10% gain in volume year over year.
New MX volume records established in 2015 included:
- 17,913,516 contracts traded in the Ten-Year Government of Canada Bond Futures (CGB), breaking the record of 14,956,206 set in 2014, by 20%,
- 5,474,698 contracts traded in the S&P/TSX 60 Index Standard Futures (SXF), breaking the record of 4,575,352 set in 2008, by 20%, and
- 8,719,474 contracts traded in options on Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs), breaking the record of 4,405,147 set in 2012, by 98%.
"We are proud of these achievements, as they reflect the growing strength of the Canadian derivatives industry," said Alain Miquelon, President and CEO, Montréal Exchange and Group Head of Derivatives, TMX Group. "The success of MX's products is the result of the collaborative efforts of the exchange and our dedicated stakeholders to improve our offerings and deepen our liquidity. In the past few years, we have enhanced our products and market model and delivered market making and education programs, all of which have served to broaden the appeal of our marketplace to investors here in Canada and around the world. We continue to work closely with our clients and look to the future with a shared focus on building on our success."
MX also set multiple records during the month of December 2015, including:
- A new daily volume record for Equity Options of 400,001 contracts traded on December 18, 2015, surpassing the previous record of 335,076 contracts established January 20, 2012,
- A new daily volume record for the SXF of 161,994 contracts traded on December 14, 2015, breaking the previous record of 144,211 contracts set on December 7, 2007; and
- MX also reached a new high in terms of overall monthly volume with 7,483,033 contracts traded in December, breaking the previous record of 7,356,739 set in July 2015.
About TMX Group (TSX:X)
TMX Group's key subsidiaries operate cash and derivative markets and clearinghouses for multiple asset classes including equities, fixed income and energy. Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange, TSX Alpha Exchange, The Canadian Depository for Securities, Montréal Exchange, Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation, NGX, BOX Options Exchange, Shorcan, Shorcan Energy Brokers, AgriClear and other TMX Group companies provide listing markets, trading markets, clearing facilities, depository services, data products and other services to the global financial community. TMX Group is headquartered in Toronto and operates offices across Canada (Montréal, Calgary and Vancouver), in key U.S. markets (New York, Houston, Boston and Chicago) as well as in London, Beijing, Singapore and Sydney. For more information about TMX Group, visit our website at http://www.tmx.com. Follow TMX Group on Twitter: @TMXGroup.
SOURCE Toronto Stock Exchange
For further information: Shane Quinn, Senior Manager, Communications and Public Affairs, TMX Group, 416-947-4609, email@example.com