Activity on Canada's derivatives exchange hits new highs at year-end
MONTRÉAL, Jan. 5, 2017 /CNW/ - TMX Group today announced that Montréal Exchange (MX) set a new total volume record in 2016 with 91.9 million contracts traded, smashing the previous record of 76.7 million contracts established in 2015. A surge in activity in several key MX products contributed to the 20% gain in volume year over year.
A number of new MX volume records were established in 2016, including:
- 26,316,537 contracts traded in Three-Month Canadian Bankers' Acceptance Futures (BAX), breaking the record of 24,640,229 set in 2014, by 7%;
- 20,968,281 contracts traded in the Ten-Year Government of Canada Bond Futures (CGB), breaking the record of 17,913,516 set in 2015, by 17%;
- 6,090,257 contracts traded in the S&P/TSX 60 Index Standard Futures (SXF), breaking the record of 5,474,698 set in 2015, by 11%;
- 25,302,965 contracts traded in Equity Options, breaking the record of 24,151,035 set in 2012, by 5%;
- 11,724,768 contracts traded in options on Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs), breaking the record of 8,719,474 set in 2015, by 34%; and
- 671,462 contracts traded in the S&P/TSX 60 Index Options (SXO), breaking the record of 541,759 set in 2015, by 24%.
"We are proud of this record-setting year and extend sincere thanks to our valued clients for their business," said Luc Fortin, President and Chief Executive Officer, Montréal Exchange. "MX will build on these achievements and is committed to delivering forward-looking client solutions to propel us to new heights in the future."
About TMX Group (TSX:X)
TMX Group's key subsidiaries operate cash and derivative markets and clearinghouses for multiple asset classes including equities, fixed income and energy. Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange, TSX Alpha Exchange, The Canadian Depository for Securities,Montréal Exchange, Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation, NGX,Shorcan, Shorcan Energy Brokers, AgriClear and other TMX Group companies provide listing markets, trading markets, clearing facilities, depository services, data products and other services to the global financial community. TMX Group is headquartered in Toronto and operates offices across Canada (Montréal, Calgary and Vancouver), in key U.S. markets (New York, Houston) as well as in London, Beijing and Singapore. For more information about TMX Group, visit our website at http://www.tmx.com. Follow TMX Group on Twitter: @TMXGroup.
SOURCE TMX Group Limited
For further information: Mathieu Labrèche, Manager, Corporate Communications and Public Affairs, TMX Group, 416-947-4474, email@example.com