OTTAWA, March 31, 2017 /CNW/ - The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, today announced the following merit-based appointments to various ports in Canada, Marine Atlantic Inc., and the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada. The appointees come from diverse backgrounds, with vast experience in a number of fields, and are active members of their communities:
- Kristopher Parsons, Chief Risk Officer at Memorial University of Newfoundland (newly appointed as Chairperson of Marine Atlantic Inc; term of five years);
- Darin Deschamps, Co-Head and Head of Investing Banking and Capital Markets Canada at Wells Fargo Securities (newly appointed as Director of the Toronto Port Authority; term of three years);
- Jennifer Stebbing, Associate Lawyer at Ross & McBride LLP (newly appointed as Director of the Hamilton Port Authority; term of three years);
- Dr. Josef (Jim) Spatz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Southwest Properties Ltd. (reappointed for three years as Director of the Halifax Port Authority);
- Kamal Ahmed, Port Warden of the Harbour of Quebec (reappointed for one year as Port Warden);
- Dr. George Pugh, consultant in emergency medicine (reappointed for eight months at the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada); and
- Dr. Abdo Shabah, Associate Professor at University de Montréal School of Public Health (reappointed for eight months at the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada).
The new appointments follow the Government of Canada's open, transparent and merit-based appointment process – one that recommends high-quality candidates who advance gender parity and truly reflect Canada's diversity.
"I am pleased to announce that these highly qualified executives have agreed to serve in the transportation sector. Their appointment will ensure continued good governance. I also take this opportunity to thank outgoing board members Sharon Duggan and Melvin Hawkrigg for their valuable service."
The Honourable Marc Garneau,
Minister of Transport
- Transport Canada is responsible for 55 various organizations, which include:
- 9 Crown Corporations;
- 4 administrative tribunal/agencies;
- 21 Canadian Airport Authorities;
- 18 Canada Port Authorities; and
- 3 shared governance organizations.
Order in Council – Appointment of Kristopher Parsons
Order in Council – Appointment of Darin Deschamps
Order in Council – Appointment of Jennifer Stebbing
Order in Council – Appointment of Kamal Ahmed
Order in Council – Appointment of Dr. Josef (Jim) Spatz
Order in Council – Appointment of Dr. George Pugh
Order in Council – Appointment of Dr. Abdo Shabah
Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to e-news or stay connected through RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr to keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.
This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
SOURCE Transport Canada
For further information: Delphine Denis, Office of the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, Ottawa, Delphine.email@example.com, 613-991-0700; Media Relations, Transport Canada, Ottawa, Media@tc.gc.ca, 613-993-0055