Parapan Am flame to travel via sailboat, handcycle and bicycle
TORONTO, July 31, 2015 /CNW/ - On Wednesday, August 5, Day 3 of the Parapan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, the Parapan Am flame will visit Whitby, Burlington and Mississauga.
The Parapan Am Games Torch Relay is a five-day inspirational journey that features a unique start and is a first in torch relay history. Two separate flames — one in the east and one in the west — will be lit on August 3 during special ceremonies in Ottawa, Ontario, and Niagara Falls, Ontario.
East – Whitby, ON
Whitby Waterfront – 5 p.m. (ET) (30 Front Street West, Whitby, ON)
- Richard Watters to carry the Parapan Am flame while onboard a sailboat.
Gordon Street – 5:55 p.m. (ET) (Gordon Street at Iroquois Park, Whitby, ON)
- Shelley Gautier, world champion and Parapan Am silver medallist, para-cycling, to carry the Parapan Am flame into the community celebration at the Abilities Centre while handcycling.
Abilities Centre – 6 p.m. (ET) (55 Gordon Street, Whitby, ON)
- Parapan Am flame to be carried by several torchbearers as part of the celebration, including Leo Plue, executive director, Abilities Centre and Kristina Vaculik, Pan Am multi-medallist, gymnastics.
- The community cauldron will be lit by community torchbearer Laura Gould.
West – Burlington, ON and Mississauga, ON
Spencer Smith Park – 10 a.m. (ET) (1400 Lakeshore Road, Burlington, ON)
- Fernando Resende to arrive carrying the Parapan Am flame while handcycling.
- The Parapan Am flame will be carried by several torchbearers as part of the celebration including Sangita Patel, on-air personality, ET Canada.
- The community cauldron will be lit by Brandon Wagner, Olympic gold medallist and Parapan Am multi-medallist, wheelchair basketball.
Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides – 3:45 p.m. (ET) (152 Wilson Street, Oakville ON)
- Parapan Am flame to be carried by torchbearers Nathalie Chartrand and Bill Howe.
Lakeside Park – 7 p.m. (ET) (2268 Lakeshore Road West, Mississauga, ON)
- Parapan Am flame to be carried by several torchbearers as part of the celebration, including Claire Carver Dias, Olympic and Pan Am medallist, synchronized swimming.
- The community cauldron will be lit by community torchbearer Nydia Langill, member of the Canadian para-swimming team.
The Parapan Am flames will be carried by more than 250 torchbearers who will help share the Parapan Am spirit in 12 communities. The flames will then unite in Toronto before travelling to the Opening Ceremony for the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games on August 7 at the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Athletics Stadium. The torch relay is one of the most exciting events as it sets the stage leading up to what will be the largest Parapan Am Games ever held.
The following torch relay items are available at TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay: relay route map, full list of communities and dates and daily highlight summaries.
All torch relay media advisories will be available on CNW. Day 3 highlight images and videos will be available on Flickr by copying and pasting this URL into a web browser: ="https://www.flickr.com/gp/134804056@N03/729S7c" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.flickr.com/gp/134804056@N03/729S7c.
The torch relay can also be followed on Twitter.
About the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay
The TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay is presented by President's Choice® and OLG, supported by community partner CIBC and signature supporters Ontario Trillium Foundation, Porter Airlines and Star Media Group and Metroland Media, and funding parties the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario. The torch relay will invite communities to celebrate and share the Parapan Am spirit throughout its five-day journey towards Toronto, the Host City of the Games.
The torch relay starts August 3, 2015, and concludes August 7, 2015, with the dramatic lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony in Toronto.
The TORONTO 2015 Games are funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, as well as Lead Partner CIBC and other partners and sponsors.
For more information, visit TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay.
SOURCE Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games
For further information: East (Whitby): Jill MacCannell, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 416.996.4076, email@example.com; West (Burlington, Mississauga): Melissa Iafrate, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 647.225.4002, firstname.lastname@example.org