Pan Am flame to visit Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre, daytime celebration at Cambridge City Hall and evening celebration at Burlington Sound of Music Festival in Spencer Smith Park
TORONTO, June 17, 2015 /CNW/ - On Friday, June 19, Day 20 of the Pan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, the Pan Am flame will visit Kitchener, Cambridge, Brantford, Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation and Burlington.
The Pan Am flame will begin the day at THEMUSEUM in Kitchener with a visit from PACHI, the official mascot of the Games. The flame will then travel to Cambridge to join the Cambridge Mayor's Celebration of the Arts. The relay day will conclude at the Burlington Sound of Music Festival in Spencer Smith Park where the final torchbearer, Mark Oldershaw, will be marched in by the Burlington Teen Tour Band.
Friday, June 19, 2015 (Relay Day 20: Kitchener, ON to Burlington, ON)
THEMUSEUM – 10 a.m. (ET) (36 King Street West, Kitchener)
- PACHI presentation with kids and families
- Dayna Nelson will be the first torchbearer of Day 20 and will depart from this location
Cambridge City Hall
– 11:30 a.m. (ET) (50 Dickson Street, Cambridge)
- Flame will be incorporated in the Cambridge Mayor's Celebration of the Arts and will be carried into the celebration by community torchbearer George Aitkin
- NASCAR driver J.R. Fitzpatrick will carry the flame out of the celebration
Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre
– 1:20 p.m. (ET) (7168 Walter Gretzky Boulevard, Brantford)
- Flame will be carried into Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre by Walter Gretzky and passed to figure skater Mary Orr
- 16-year-old, Madison Parks, national champion, wrestling, will carry the flame out of the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre and pass it to marathon runner Krista DuChene
Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation
– 4 p.m. (ET) (New Credit Road, Hagersville)
- First Nation members, Cameron Sault and Ryann LaForme, will carry the Pan Am flame
- Canadian sportscaster Ron MacLean and waterpolo Olympian Waneek Horn Miller will co-host the celebration
Spencer Smith Park – (1400 Lakeshore Road, Burlington)
- Flame will arrive at Burlington Sound of Music Festival at 6:40 p.m. carried by community torchbearer Ashley Worobec
- Community cauldron will be lit by Mark Oldershaw, Olympic medallist, canoe/kayak
The Pan Am Games Torch Relay is a 41-day journey that will share the Pan Am spirit in more than 130 communities. The torch relay is one of the most exciting events as it sets the stage leading up to the Games. There will be more than 3,000 torchbearers and 180 community celebrations taking place.
The following torch relay items are available at TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay: relay route map, full list of communities and dates, daily highlight summaries and media vehicle registration information.
All torch relay media advisories and news releases are available on CNW. Day 10 highlight images and videos are available on Flickr by copying and pasting this URL into a web browser: ="https://www.flickr.com/gp/133157263@N06/41A7b1" rel="nofollow">https://www.flickr.com/gp/133157263@N06/41A7b1.
The torch relay can also be followed on Twitter.
About the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay
The TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, is supported by community partner CIBC, signature supporters Star Media Group and Metroland Media, Ontario Trillium Foundation and Porter Airlines, and funding parties the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario. The torch relay will invite Canadians to celebrate and share the Pan Am spirit throughout its 41-day journey towards Toronto, the Host City of the Games.
The torch relay starts May 30, 2015, and concludes July 10, 2015, with the dramatic lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony in downtown Toronto.
The TORONTO 2015 Games are funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, as well as Lead Partner CIBC and other partners and sponsors.
To learn more about the torch relay and when the Pan Am flame will visit a community near you, visit TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay or download the official TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games app, presented by CIBC.
SOURCE Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games
For further information: Vanessa St. Louis, Host / communications assistant, TO2015, 416.697.7410, firstname.lastname@example.org