Musicians, federal politicians and labour leaders call for end to 84-day strike
OTTAWA, Dec. 11 /CNW Telbec/ - Prominent politicians, musicians, artists and community leaders will gather on Sunday to show support and solidarity for the 420 workers from the Canadian Museum of Civilization and War Museum, who have been on strike for 84 days.
Workers from the two museums have been walking picket lines since September 21st. Several attempts at a mediated settlement resulted in weeks-long delays and a final offer from the museum, which the workers rejected by a margin of 96 per cent. Negotiations will resume this afternoon after federal mediators called the two parties back to the bargaining table.
WHAT: Our Country, Our Culture: A rally in support of Canadian Museum
of Civilization Corporation employees
WHEN: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 1:00 pm
WHERE: March from the War Museum to the Bronson Centre (211 Bronson
Ave.). Rally and concert at the Bronson Centre starts at 2:00 pm.
- Marcel Proulx, MP Hull-Aylmer, Liberal Party of Canada
- Paul Dewar, MP Ottawa-Centre, New Democratic Party of Canada
- Barry Blake, National Councillor ACTRA (Alliance of Canadian Cinema,
Television and Radio Artists)
- Musicians: Ian Tamblyn, Ana Miura, The Mighty Popo, Marcel Aymar
- A few surprise guests to be confirmed.
For further information: For further information: Joselito Calugay, PSAC Communications, (613) 293-9324 (cell)