Labour leaders call for improved retirement security for all
CALGARY, Feb. 15 /CNW Telbec/ - While Stephen Harper enjoys the Olympic games, federal government workers aren't about to award his government any medals.
Anticipating a slash-and-burn approach to federal public services in the upcoming federal budget, members of the Public Service Alliance of Canada and the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada in Calgary will be holding their own winter-time activity.
The workers are reacting to attempts to use the economic crisis to target the pensions they pay for instead of improving retirement security for all Canadians.
WHAT: 'Hands off our pensions' rally in front of the Harry Hays building
WHEN: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 12:00 noon
WHERE: 220 4th Avenue S.E.
WHO: Guests include:
- Patty Ducharme, PSAC National Executive Vice-president
- Gary Corbett, PIPSC President
- Robyn Benson, PSAC Regional Executive Vice-president
- Nancy Furlong, Alberta Federation of Labour Secretary-Treasurer
- Nick Lapora, Calgary and District Labour Council President
- David Winter, Canadian Labour Congress Prairies Director
For further information: For further information: or to book interviews: Raj Hari, PSAC Calgary, (403) 270-6555, ext. 104; Dolly Ablitt, PSAC Calgary, (403) 270-6555; Chantal Lecours, PIPSC Communications, (613) 864-4368 (cell no.)