OTTAWA, Jan. 19 /CNW Telbec/ - The mayors of Canada's largest cities will meet January 21, 2010, in Ottawa, Ont., at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (all times local).
The mayors, all members of FCM's Big City Mayors' Caucus (BCMC) will discuss the federal deficit and municipal priorities for the upcoming federal budget. The Big City Mayors' Caucus (BCMC) comprises a regionally representative group of FCM member cities. It meets two to three times a year to discuss shared issues.
The meeting is closed to the media but a news conference is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Individual mayors may be available to meet reporters following the news conference. A photo-op will be held at 8:45 a.m. (no microphones)
Media across the country are invited to listen to the news conference by conference call.
WHAT: FCM Big City Mayors' Caucus meeting, photo opportunity and
WHEN: Thursday, January 21, 2010
- Photo op (no sound): 8:45 a.m. (EST)
- News Conference: 11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. (EST)
WHERE: Photo-opportunity (no sound) - Ballroom, Fairmont Chateau
- In person - Quebec Suite (1st floor), Fairmont Chateau
- By phone (listen only):
To listen to the news conference by phone, call 1-866-494-3746
(in Toronto - 416-915-1196) then ask the operator to be connected
to the mayors' teleconference. For assistance, dial Star 0.
NOTE: Please terminate the connection when you leave the call.
Please do not put the line on hold
WHO: The list of BCMC members attending the meeting follows.
1. Surrey, Her Worship Mayor Dianne Watts
2. Calgary, His Worship Mayor David Bronconnier
3. Edmonton, His Worship Mayor Stephen Mandel
4. Regina, His Worship Mayor Pat Fiacco
5. Saskatoon, His Worship Mayor Don Atchison
6. Winnipeg, His Worship Mayor Sam Katz
7. Windsor, His Worship Mayor Eddie Francis
8. London, Councillor Susan Eagle for Her Worship Mayor Anne
9. Kitchener, His Worship Mayor Carl Zehr
10. Hamilton, His Worship Mayor Fred Eisenberger
11. Brampton, Her Worship Mayor Susan Fennell
12. Mississauga, Her Worship Mayor Hazel McCallion
13. Toronto, His Worship Mayor David Miller
14. Ottawa, His Worship Larry O'Brien
15. St. John's, His Worship Mayor Dennis O'Keefe
16. Halifax Regional Municipality, His Worship Mayor
Peter J. Kelly
17. Montreal, Councillor Claude Dauphin for His Worship Gérald
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has been the national voice of municipal government since 1901. With 1,796 members, FCM represents the interests of municipalities on policy and program matters that fall within federal jurisdiction. Members include Canada's largest cities, small urban and rural communities, and 18 provincial and territorial municipal associations.
SOURCE Federation of Canadian Municipalities
For further information: For further information: Maurice Gingues, (613) 907-6395, email@example.com