VANCOUVER, June 21 /CNW/ -
Rally - Now the People -- From the Crisis to Global Justice
Wednesday, June 23, 2010, at 12.30pm
West Building Terrace,
just west of the Vancouver Convention Centre (with orca statue)
1055 Canada Place, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Protest rally: "Now the People. From Crisis to Global Justice."
The path forward from the financial crisis must lead to global
social justice that benefits all, says global trade union
- Wednesday, June 23, 2010, at 12.30pm
- West Building Terrace (with orca statue), just west of the
Vancouver Convention Centre
- Rally speakers:
- Labour leaders from every region of the world will deliver
solidarity messages to the rally
- Rally participants:
- Over 1,200 trade union delegates to the ITUC World Congress.
Delegates come from around the world, including many developing
- Local Canadian Labour Congress and B.C Federation of Labour
Why is this important?
- The rally theme echoes that of the second ITUC World Congress.
"Now the People From Crisis to Global Justice."
- The global labour movement is formulating its demands for the
restructuring and reform of the global economy after the financial
crisis, with an emphasis on workers' rights, financial regulation
and sustainable development.
- The global labour movement believes the world is at a tipping
point between a future that offers decent work, sustainable
development, and respect of human rights and a darker alternative
that would plunge millions into poverty, unemployment and
- Political leaders need to hear workers' demands. A number of
labour leaders involved in the June 2010 ITUC Congress will also
participate at meetings with G8 and G20 political leaders in
Ontario immediately following the ITUC Congress.
For more details, please refer to
- Congress website: http://www.ituc-csi.org/+-congress-+.html
SOURCE B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union
For further information: For further information: ITUC Press Officer Mathieu Debroux (in Vancouver), tel: + 604 830 7704 or e-mail: Mathieu.email@example.com