OTTAWA, Nov. 25, 2016 /CNW/ - His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, will present teachers and other outstanding Canadians with the 2016 Governor General's History Awards for their efforts to further an interest in and understanding of Canadian history and heritage. The awards will be presented at a ceremony at Rideau Hall, on Monday, November 28, 2016, at 10:30 a.m.
The 21st Governor General's History Awards will honour exceptional achievements in five areas: teaching, museums, community programming, scholarly research, and popular media.
The Governor General's HistoryAwards for Excellence in Teaching:
- Lori Buchanan and Adam Pounder – Havergal College, Toronto, Ontario
- Brian Clancy, Catherine Morneault and Lisa Sheppard – Sussex Middle School, Sussex, New Brunswick
- Elizabeth Freeman-Shaw and Sarah Murdoch – A.N. Myer Secondary School and Westlane Secondary School, Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Rita Gravina and Catherine Pfaff – The Bishop Strachan School, Toronto, Ontario
- Geneviève Marois – École Ste-Thérèse-de-l'Enfant-Jésus, St-Jérôme, Quebec
- Holly Richard – Brooklin High School, Brooklin, Ontario
The Governor General's History Award for Excellence in Museums: History Alive!:
- The Canadian Horse, a Unique Breed, Maison Saint-Gabriel, Montréal, Quebec
The Governor General's History Awards for Excellence in Community Programming:
- Voices of the Valley, The Reach Gallery Museum, Abbotsford, British Columbia
- Avec les yeux d'hier et d'aujourd'hui, Archives Centre Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec
The Governor General's History Award for Scholarly Research (Sir John A. Macdonald Prize):
- Robert C. H. Sweeny, Memorial University, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, for his book Why Did We Choose to Industrialize? Montreal 1819-1849 (published by McGill-Queen's University Press, 2015)
The Governor General's History Award for Popular Media (Pierre Berton Award):
- Merna Forster, Victoria, British Columbia
In addition, eight national student awards and the Experiences Canada History Award will be presented to the following individuals:
Kayak Kids' Illustrated History Challenge:
- Solène Fortin, LaSalle, Quebec
- Eamon Sawada-Tse, Port Coquitlam, British Columbia
The Government of Canada History Awards for Students:
- Marc-Alexandre Binette, Saint-Jérôme, Quebec
- Enshia Li, Richmond Hill, Ontario
Aboriginal Arts & Stories:
- Megan Benoit, Surrey, British Columbia
- Kecia Cook, Regina, Saskatchewan
- Cyan-Raven Gielewska, Kitchener, Ontario
- Joshua Whitehead, Calgary, Alberta
Experiences Canada Award:
- Kirsten Riebot, Calgary, Alberta
About the Governor General's History Awards
The Governor General's History Awards were first established in 1996, by Canada's National History Society, to recognize excellence in teaching Canadian history. Since the creation of the awards, over 100 teachers have been honoured at Rideau Hall and at the Residence of the Governor General at the Citadelle of Québec.
In partnership with Canada's leading national history organizations, including the Canadian Historical Association, the Canadian Museums Association, Historica Canada, and Experiences Canada, the Society has worked to expand the awards to recognize the many different ways history is taught, communicated and celebrated by Canadians. The Governor General's History Awards now provide an annual opportunity to bring together museums, community organizations, writers, historians, students, teachers and media producers to celebrate Canadian history and to learn from one another. For more information about these awards, visit www.canadashistory.ca/Awards.
Follow GGDavidJohnston and RideauHall on Facebook and Twitter.
SOURCE Governor General of Canada
For further information: Media information: To confirm your attendance at the ceremony, please contact Marie-Ève Létourneau, Rideau Hall Press Office, 613-998-0287, 613-302-0912 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org; To book an interview with the recipients, please contact Joanne DeCosse, Canada's History, 204-430-7979, email@example.com