OTTAWA, Sept. 15, 2016 /CNW/ - His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, will present the 2016 Governor General's Medals in Architecture and the 2016 Governor General's Medal in Landscape Architecture during a ceremony at Rideau Hall, on
Tuesday, September 20, 2016, at 2 p.m.
The Governor General's Medals in Architecture recognize outstanding achievement in recently built projects by Canadian architects. This program, created by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC), contributes to the development of the discipline and practice of architecture, and increases public awareness of architecture as a vital cultural force in Canadian society. These awards are administered jointly by the RAIC and the Canada Council for the Arts.
The following projects will be honoured with a 2016 Governor General's Medal in Architecture:
- Amphithéâtre Cogeco (Trois-Rivières, Que): Paul Laurendeau | François R. Beauchesne | Architectes en consortium
- BC Passive House Factory (Pemberton, B.C.): Hemsworth Architecture
- Bridgepoint Active Healthcare (Toronto, Ont.): Stantec Architecture / KPMB Architects / HDR Architecture / Diamond Schmitt Architects
- Glacier Skywalk (Jasper, Alta.): Sturgess Architecture
- Halifax Central Library (Halifax, N.S.): Fowler Bauld & Mitchell Ltd. / schmidt hammer lassen architects
- Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization (Toronto, Ont.): PLANT Architect Inc., in joint venture with Perkins + Will Canada (formerly Shore Tilbe Irwin & Partners Inc.)
- Regent Park Aquatic Centre (Toronto, Ont.): MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects
- Ronald McDonald House BC & Yukon (Vancouver, B.C.): MGA | Michael Green Architecture – project begun at mcfarlane | green | biggar architecture + design
- Head Office of Caisse Desjardins de Lévis (Lévis, Que.): Consortium ABCP architecture and Anne Carrier architecture
- University of Manitoba ARTlab (Winnipeg, Man.): Patkau Architects Inc. / LM Architectural Group
- Wong Dai Sin Temple (Markham, Ont.): Shim-Sutcliffe Architects Inc.
- Wood Innovation and Design Centre (Prince George, B.C.): MGA | Michael Green Architecture
Descriptions and downloadable images of the architectural firms and their winning buildings are available at www.raic.org and www.canadacouncil.ca.
Created in 2014 to mark the 80th anniversary of the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA), the Governor General's Medal in Landscape Architecture celebrates the contributions that professional landscape architects have made to the urban, rural and natural environments of Canada over the last century. It is the highest honour bestowed by the CSLA, and is given to exceptional landscape architects whose lifetime achievements and contributions to the profession have had a unique and lasting impact on Canadian society.
Cornelia Hahn Oberlander, O.C., MBCSLA, FCSLA, FASLA
Cornelia Hahn Oberlander has practiced landscape architecture for more than 60 years and has played a seminal role in the evolution of modernism in the context of architecture, landscape architecture and planning. Throughout her long and distinguished career, she has championed design that reflects a strong understanding of and respect for cultural and environmental context. Appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2009, Ms. Hahn Oberlander has been an influential leader in building places and policy that support an intimate and beautiful connection with the natural world.
Media wishing to cover the ceremony are asked to confirm their attendance in advance with the Rideau Hall Press Office, and must arrive at the Princess Anne Entrance no later than 1:45 p.m. on the day of the ceremony.
Follow GGDavidJohnston and RideauHall on Facebook and Twitter.
SOURCE Governor General of Canada
For further information: Media information: Emily Keogh, Rideau Hall Press Office, 613-993-2569, email@example.com; For interviews with the recipients please contact: Meredith Sharpe, Canada Council for the Arts, 613-566-4414, ext. 4166, firstname.lastname@example.org; Maria Cook, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, 613-241-3600, ext. 213, email@example.com; Melanie Rutledge, Canadian Society of Landscape Architects, firstname.lastname@example.org, 613-816-0832