THUNDER BAY, ON, Dec. 18 /CNW/ - On December 21, 2009 members of the Lakehead University Faculty Association (LUFA) will rally in Thunder Bay and Orillia to protest the closure of the university on December 21-24, 2009. Faculty and staff will not be paid during this forced closing, in direct violation of their collective agreements.
This move by Lakehead administration will harm research and damage the reputation of the university. Employees should not be made to suffer because administrators are unable to manage university finances.
The schedule of the day is as follows:
Thunder Bay Campus
- 9:00AM: Participants gather at the Oliver Road Community Centre
(563 Oliver Road)
- 9:30AM: March to Lakehead Campus begins
- 10AM: Rally and speeches on Lakehead campus.
- 11:30AM: Event ends
Speeches will take place outside the Agora. Speakers include:
- Bruce Hyer, Member of Parliament, Thunder Bay - Superior North
- Mary Kozorys, on behalf John Rafferty, Member of Parliament, Thunder
Bay - Rainy River
- Joey Farrell, President of the Lakehead University Faculty
- Mark Langer, President of the Ontario Confederation of University
- Jim Turk, Executive Director of the Canadian Association of
- Wayne Peters, Vice President of the Canadian Association of
- 9:45AM: Participants gather at the Heritage Place, at the corner of
Colborne and West
- 10:00AM: Speeches
Speeches will take place outside Heritage Place. Speakers include:
- Garfield Dunlop, Member of Provincial Parliament, Simcoe North
- Daphne Bonar, Departmental Representative for the Lakehead University
- Karen Wheeler, Ontario Confederation of University Faculty
Speakers will be available for interviews at both locations.
SOURCE Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations
For further information: For further information: or to arrange an interview, contact Joey Farrell at (807) 346-7754 (office), (807) 624-6923 (mobile) or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Graeme Stewart at (416) 979-2117 x232 (office), (647) 280-3175 (mobile) or email@example.com