EDMONTON, March 6, 2017 /CNW/ - Following two tough years stemming from widespread weakness in the energy sector, Alberta is expected to post the strongest economic growth among the provinces in 2017. Along with a big increase in oil production, some of the growth in Alberta will come from the rebuilding efforts in Fort McMurray. Still, the Alberta economy remains weak and faces a long road to full recovery.
The Conference Board of Canada's Western Business Outlook 2017 will take place between March 8-10 with events in Edmonton, Red Deer, and Calgary. Conference Board economists and senior business leaders will discuss the trends that are shaping the province's business environment, including:
- What will be the impact of near historic low interest rates?
- Can the Calgary and Edmonton real estate markets hold up under the pressure of the commodity collapse?
- Where will the loonie bottom out and what impact will it have on exports or tourism?
- What will be the impact of a record high provincial deficit have on the economy?
Edmonton: March 8, 2017, The Westin Edmonton
Red Deer: March 9, 2017, Welikoklad Centre
Calgary: March 10, 2017, Delta Calgary Downtown
Who: Speakers include:
- The Honourable Joe Ceci, Minister of Finance and President of Treasury Board, Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
- Craig Alexander, Senior Vice-President and Chief Economist, The Conference Board of Canada
- Pedro Antunes, Executive Director, Economic Outlook and Analysis, and Deputy Chief Economist, The Conference Board of Canada
- Brad Ferguson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Edmonton Economic Development Corporation
- Barbara McKenzie, Executive Director, Leduc Nisku Economic Development Association
- Mary Moran, President and Chief Executive Officer, Calgary Economic Development
- Dr. Trevor Tombe, Assistant Professor, University of Calgary and the School of Public Policy
- Bill Whitelaw, Chief Executive Officer, June Warren-Nickle's Energy Group, Managing Director of Evaluate Energy
This conference is sponsored by MNP LLP, ATB Financial, and Warren Sinclair Lawyers.
For the full list of speakers, schedule and times, visit:
Red Deer: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/conf/17-0059/agenda.aspx
Media Accreditation is required.
Follow us on Twitter: @CBoC_Events and #CBoCEconomics
SOURCE Conference Board of Canada
For further information: or media accreditation, contact: Natasha Jamieson, Communications Coordinator, The Conference Board of Canada, Tel.: 613- 526-3090 ext. 307, E-mail: email@example.com; or Yvonne Squires, Media Relations, The Conference Board of Canada, Tel.: 613- 526-3090 ext. 221, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org