WINNIPEG, MB, Oct. 24, 2016 /CNW/ - Manitoba farmers are invited to safely and responsibly dispose of their unwanted or obsolete pesticides and livestock (including equine) medications from October 24-28.
CleanFARMS, an industry-led, national not-for-profit agricultural waste management organization, in partnership with the Canadian Animal Health Institute (CAHI), is offering this program at no cost to farmers.
"This is an excellent opportunity for producers to dispose of obsolete pesticides and livestock medications," says Dan Mazier, President of Keystone Agricultural Producers. "It's a way to protect ourselves, our families and the environment – and I urge all producers to participate."
Farmers in Manitoba have a long history of good stewardship practices. Since 1998, Manitoba farmers have turned in more than 219,000 kilograms of obsolete pesticides.
"Manitoba has a history of successful collections," says Barry Friesen, General Manager of CleanFARMS. "The participation of Manitoba farmers shows they are good stewards of their land and committed to protecting the environment."
After collection, the pesticides and medications are taken to a licensed waste management facility where they are disposed of through high temperature incineration.
The following locations will be accepting obsolete pesticides and livestock/equine medications from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. on the dates specified:
Monday, October 24, 2016
- Richardson Pioneer in Swan River, 204-238-4237
- Crop Production Services in Arborg, 204-376-5990
- Acropolis Warehousing Ltd in Brandon, 204-729-8554
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
- Dauphin Co-op in Dauphin, 204-622-6080
- Marquette Consumers Co-operative Ltd in Marquette, 204-375-6570
- Redfern Farmer Services Ltd in Virden, 204-748-1122
- GJ Chemical Company Ltd in Altona, 204-324-8090
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
- Jackson Seeds Ltd in Inglis, 204-564-2293
- Crop Production Services in Beausejour, 204-268-3497
- Crop Production Services in Deloraine, 204-747-2877
- GJ Chemical Company Ltd in Arnaud, 204-427-2337
Thursday, October 27, 2016
- Richardson Pioneer in Shoal Lake, 204-759-2917
- Richardson Pioneer in Steinbach, 204-326-4483
- Bestland Air Ltd in Starbuck, 204-735-2258
- Double Diamond Farm Supply in Snowflake, 204-876-4557
Friday, October 28, 2016
- Crop Production Services in Gladstone, 204-385-2349
- Paterson Grain in Niverville, 204-388-6565
- Paterson Grain in Holland, 204-526-2240
- Portage Co-op (Austin Agro) in Portage La Prairie, 204-637-3030
The obsolete pesticide and livestock/equine medication collection program is a national program that comes to each province every three years. In between collections periods, farmers are asked to safely store their unwanted pesticides and livestock medications until they can properly dispose of them through the program.
SOURCE CleanFARMS Inc.
For further information: For media inquiries please contact: Maja Begovic, Media Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416-622-4460 x 2222