Parks Canada unveils its programming
CHAMBLY, QC, May 24, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Parks Canada unveils its 2016 summer programming at the Chambly Canal and Saint-Ours Canal national historic sites, two magnificent sites to explore in the Montérégie region. A varied and exciting programming will be offered to boaters and visitors and will allow them to discover the Richelieu Valley's bucolic and enchanting landscape.
Live the oTENTik Experience at the Saint-Ours Canal National Historic Site!
New in 2016, the Parks Canada oTENTiks will provide visitors with the opportunity to spend the night in accommodations that are a cross between a tent and a rustic cabin, in the enchanting setting of Darvard Island. oTENTiks will provide hassle-free camping from the end of June until September 18. On July 1, Canada Day fun and surprises will await youngsters at the Saint-Ours Canal.
Experience the Joys of Summer at the Chambly Canal National Historic Site
On July 9 (postponed to July 10 in case of rain), Parks Canada will help the public become more familiar with different water sports in Chambly during the Nautical Fest.
July 30 and 31, for the 1st edition of Learn-to Camp in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Parks Canada and MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) will transform the Halte des Moulins Langelier into a campground as part of the festivities surrounding the city's 350th anniversary.
In collaboration with Parks Canada, the City of Chambly will be offering families the Sur l'air de Chambly concert series, which will be held at the Parc des Ateliers every Wednesday from June 29 to August 10.
New this summer, children and their families will have fun discovering the Chambly Canal with the help of Parks Canada Xplorers Program. Equipped with a booklet filled with fun activities that will be given to the Xplorers upon their arrival at the canal, they will set out to explore the site with their families and will receive a special souvenir and certificate.
Be on the lookout for activities that will be announced throughout the summer by regularly visiting our website at www.parkscanada.gc.ca/canals
As we near the 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017, the Government invites all Canadians to experience Canada's remarkable natural heritage and rich history at national parks and national historic sites this summer.
"The summer season is going to be exceptional for boaters and visitors of the Richelieu canals with new features such as oTENTik accommodations at the Saint-Ours Canal and the 1st edition of Learn-to Camp in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, which enhance visitor experience. Parks Canada and its employees are proud to help Canadians enjoy an unforgettable experience and take advantage of one of the most beautiful navigation systems in the world."
Director, Quebec Waterways, Parks Canada
- Parks Canada continues to improve its visitor offer with investments in infrastructure, particularly by adding oTENTik accommodations in locations across the country, and by offering even more educational and innovative activities.
- The Friends of the Chambly and Saint-Ours canals will offer numerous activities to visitors: bike rental, outdoor exercise, art creation workshops, GPS rallies, the Explorer Circuit, and much more. Visit the Friends of the Chambly Canal website and the Friends of the Saint-Ours Canal Facebook page for more information.
- Since places are limited for the Chambly Canal Learn-to Camp activity, register in advance by calling 1 888 773-8888.
- The Chambly Canal's path earned 4th place in the top 15 favourite paths in Ulysses Travel Guides' essential and popular Québec cyclable.
- The 2016 boating season will take place from May 20 to October 10, and information on the hours of operation is available at: www.parkscanada.gc.ca/canals.
Parks Canada's Historic Canals
Chambly Canal National Historic Site
Saint-Ours Canal National Historic Site
oTENTik Accommodations at Saint-Ours Canal National Historic Site
Learn-to Camp Program at the Chambly Canal
Parks Canada Xplorers Program
SOURCE Parks Canada, Québec Field Unit
Image with caption: "oTENTik accommodation (CNW Group/Parks Canada, Québec Field Unit)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160524_C3361_PHOTO_EN_696451.jpg
Image with caption: "Chambly Canal National Historic Site (CNW Group/Parks Canada, Québec Field Unit)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160524_C3361_PHOTO_EN_696453.jpg
For further information: Marie-Ève Roy, Public Relations and Communications Officer, Quebec Waterways, Parks Canada, Tel: 514-241-7200, firstname.lastname@example.org