TORONTO, Dec. 3, 2012 /CNW/ - Today Clayton Ruby, on behalf of his
client Paul Magder, consented to a stay of the order to remove Rob Ford
from office pending the outcome of Mr. Ford's appeal. Mr. Ford had
requested the stay following Justice Charles Hackland's November 26
decision that found Mr. Ford had been willfully blind when he breached
the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and ordered Mr. Ford removed
"By breaking the law in such a flagrant manner, Rob Ford has put this
city into unnecessary turmoil," said Mr. Ruby. "We are agreeing to this
stay to give the city of Toronto a measure of stability, something that
has been wholly absent during Mr. Ford's term in office. Our opposition
to Mr. Ford's appeal, however, will proceed."
Although Mr. Magder has consented to the stay, he said he finds the way
Mr. Ford and his proxies have impugned the reputation of the legal
system to be outrageous.
"I brought this application to protect Toronto's municipal government
from politicians putting their own interests ahead of the citizens they
were elected to serve," said Mr. Magder. "One of Ontario's most
respected judges considered in great detail the arguments made on my
behalf and that of Mr. Ford before issuing his thoroughly reasoned
decision. For Mr. Ford to pretend he is the victim of a "left-wing"
political attack is to insult the justice system that is a cornerstone
of Canada's strong and enduring democracy."
SOURCE: Clayton Ruby
For further information: