TORONTO, Feb. 17, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell is presenting the 2016 Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards recognizing individuals, groups and communities for exceptional contributions to conserving Ontario's cultural and natural heritage.
Recipients of the 2016 Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards include:
- 55 young people receiving Youth Achievement Awards for exceptional voluntary contributions to heritage conservation by youth age 24 and under.
- Two individuals receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award for volunteer contributions to the conservation of community heritage over a period of 25 years or more.
- Five conservation projects receiving the Excellence in Conservation Award.
- One community receiving the Community Leadership Award for exemplary leadership, commitment, creativity, positive impact on community and good conservation practices.
Among the Youth Achievement Award recipients are two individuals, each receiving a $2,000 post-secondary scholarship, jointly funded by the Ontario Heritage Trust and Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life – sponsors of the Trust's Young Heritage Leaders program.
"In this 150th anniversary year of Confederation, I am delighted to recognize these exceptional individuals, communities and organizations working to conserve Ontario's rich heritage. On behalf of a grateful province, I congratulate these winners of the Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards and thank them for their dedication to conserving our collective patrimony for future generations."
— The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
"I'd like to congratulate the recipients on their outstanding achievements and thank them for their commitment and dedication to conserving Ontario's cultural and natural heritage. As we celebrate Ontario's 150th anniversary this year, it's especially important to recognize the individuals whose tireless conservation work helps keep our history alive for future generations."
— The Honourable Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"Each year, the Trust recognizes the outstanding work being done across the province to conserve our cultural and natural heritage through the Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards. The creativity, commitment and excellence of these remarkable individuals, communities and organizations is an inspiration and deserving of our highest praise."
— Thomas H.B. Symons, Chair of the Ontario Heritage Trust
"The Ontario Heritage Trust's Young Heritage Leaders program provides well-earned recognition for young Ontarians who are preserving local heritage, protecting the environment, and demonstrating their leadership. We've supported the program for many years because we see so many inspirational young people engaging for the well-being of their communities."
— Helen Kasdorf, Senior Vice-President & CFO, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life
- Established in 2007, the Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards are annual juried awards administered by the Ontario Heritage Trust to recognize exceptional achievements in heritage conservation.
- In addition to these awards, this year another 98 youth are being recognized at the community level through the Trust's Young Heritage Leaders program, which recognizes hundreds of young volunteers each year for contributions to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario's heritage.
- The Trust`s Young Heritage Leaders and Youth Achievement Awards are sponsored by Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life.
The Ontario Heritage Trust is an agency of the Government of Ontario dedicated to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario's heritage.
Aussi disponible en français
Ontario Heritage Trust
SOURCE Ontario Heritage Trust
For further information: Kimberly Murphy, Ontario Heritage Trust, 416-325-5074, email@example.com; John Gross, Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, 416-325-7786, firstname.lastname@example.org; Tim Oracheski, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life, 204-946-8961, email@example.com