MONTRÉAL, July 10, 2017 /CNW/ - The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Member of Parliament for Ahuntsic–Cartierville, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, today announced a significant investment to help equip young Quebecers with the quality post-secondary education that will enable them to achieve their goals.
The Government of Canada is investing $840,000 in a project at Collège André-Grasset in Montréal. The funding will help the institution provide its students with the training needed for the high-paying middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow.
Federal funding is allocated through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, which will enhance and modernize research facilities on Canadian campuses and improve the environmental sustainability of these facilities.
Collège André-Grasset will use the funds to refurbish and upgrade its chemistry lab and adjacent facilities. This project will help improve the post-secondary education offered on Montreal Island and stimulate the local economy.
A total of $2.28 million is being invested in this project:
- The Government of Canada is providing $840,000.
- Collège André-Grasset and other partners are providing $1.44 million.
In total, universities and colleges throughout Quebec will receive nearly $1.1 billion from the Government of Canada, the provincial government, the institutions themselves and private donors.
As a result of these investments in Quebec, students, professors and researchers will work in state-of-the-art facilities that advance the country's best research. They will collaborate in specially designed spaces that support lifelong learning and skills training. They will work in close proximity with partners to turn discoveries into products or services. In the process, they will train for—and create—the high-value middle-class jobs of the future. And their discoveries will plant the seeds for the next generation of innovators.
"This historic investment by the Government of Canada is a down payment on the government's vision to position Canada as a global centre for innovation. That means making Canada a world leader in turning ideas into solutions, science into technologies, skills into middle-class jobs and start-up companies into global successes."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"We know that strategic investments in jobs and innovation help our communities grow and prosper. I am proud that our government is investing to help students in Ahuntsic–Cartierville gain the skills they need to land good, well-paying jobs. Through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, we are strengthening the foundation of Canada's middle class and working to make the country a global centre for innovation."
– The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Member of Parliament for Ahuntsic–Cartierville
"The funding announced today will make Collège André-Grasset even more attractive and tailored to the needs of students and personnel. Joint investments in post-secondary institutions from the governments of Quebec and Canada allow colleges and cegeps to continue playing a key role in their community and to remain major players in research and innovation in Quebec."
– Marie Montpetit, Member for Crémazie, Quebec National Assembly
"Collège André-Grasset greatly appreciates the federal government's contribution to refurbishing our chemistry lab. Long recognized for its excellent science programs, the college will be able to continue providing students and teachers with the latest state-of-the-art technologies."
– Gilbert Héroux, Director General, Collège André-Grasset
- The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, and the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, announced in December 2016 that the federal government would provide more than $385 million for research infrastructure at institutions throughout Quebec.
- Philippe Couillard, Premier of Quebec, and Hélène David, Minister of Higher Education, also announced that the Government of Quebec would invest more than $345 million in research infrastructure at post-secondary institutions in Quebec.
- Collège André-Grasset has been awarded $840,000 in federal funding under the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund.
- The targeted, short-term investments under the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund will promote economic activity across Canada and help Canada's universities and colleges develop highly skilled workers, act as engines of discovery, and collaborate on innovations that help Canadian companies compete and grow internationally.
- The Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund supports the Government of Canada's climate change objectives by encouraging sustainable and green infrastructure projects.
- Canada's Innovation and Skills Plan is designed to ensure our country is globally competitive in promoting research, translating ideas into new products and services, accelerating business growth and propelling entrepreneurs from the start-up phase to international success.
Follow Minister Bains on Twitter: @MinisterISED
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Karl W. Sasseville, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, email@example.com