Original crew member at the helm with 10,000 expected at the community welcoming ceremony
TORONTO, June 4, 2012 /CNW/ - An illustrious and rare example of Canadian maritime history is finally
The S.S. Keewatin — the crown jewel in the Canadian Pacific Railway's
once-mighty Great Lakes Steamship fleet — is being repatriated by
Skyline International Development Inc. (www.skylineinvestments.com/) and will arrive at its original home in Port McNicoll, ON, June 23,
2012 as part of a community celebration.
In 2011, Skyline's Chairman and President Gil Blutrich announced an
agreement with Peterson following four years of negotiation to purchase
and repatriate Keewatin to its original home in Port McNicoll, where
the R.J. and Diane Peterson Great Lakes and S.S. Keewatin Foundation
will operate and maintain the vessel as a maritime museum. The Keewatin
will be moored in a new waterfront park in Port McNicoll — steps from
the original location where it was originally tied. The park will
feature a replica of the town's original train station and surrounding
English Royal gardens. Once there, restoration work will be completed
to return the ship to her original early 20th century grandeur.
"This vessel is one of a kind," said Eric Conroy, author of the book A Steak In the Drawer, which details his experiences working on the Keewatin as a
17-year-old. Conroy, a long-time Keewatin volunteer who worked with
Blutrich to negotiate her repatriation, will chair the R.J. and Diane
Peterson Great Lakes and S.S. Keewatin Foundation.
Constructed five years before the ill-fated voyage of RMS Titanic, the
Keewatin is the last surviving vessel in the Great Lakes Steamship
fleet and features many of the same design and construction features of
her cousin Titanic, including a quadruple expansion steam engine and
"Scottish" boilers, as well as a grand staircase, Edwardian dining
saloon, hand painted Italian glass and oak trim throughout. Strict
regulations were imposed on wooden cabin steamships on the Great Lakes
after the 1949 S.S. Noronic fire disaster killed 118 passengers and one
crew member, making the financial viability of the overnight cruiser
difficult. New modes of transportation also made the vessel largely
Launched July 6, 1907, the Keewatin was retired in 1966 after almost 60
seasons ferrying passengers from Port McNicoll on Georgian Bay, to Port
Arthur (Thunder Bay) on Lake Superior.
Built by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company in Scotland
as Hull No. 453, the 350-foot long Keewatin carried 288 passengers with
a crew of 86, and cruised at a top speed of 14 knots. Along with her
sister ship S.S. Assiniboia, Keewatin was the first Great Lakes ship to
SOURCE Skyline International Development Inc.
For further information:
David Eisenstadt / Beth Merrick / Gea Koleva
The Communications Group Inc.
416-696-9900 x. 36 / 40 / 26
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com