Be aware and be prepared!
TORONTO, May 2, 2016 /CNW/ - As Emergency Preparedness Week begins in Ontario, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) wants everyone to be aware and be prepared.
"Being prepared for a worst-case scenario will give you peace of mind, and if something does happen, you can react quickly to keep your family safe," said Kim Donaldson, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC.
"Climate change means that weather events that used to happen once every 40 years could now occur every six," added Donaldson. "The unexpected severity is why it's so important to be prepared for the worst. IBC is encouraging Ontarians to take some time this week to make sure they have everything they need to protect themselves, their families and their property from the impacts of severe weather."
IBC is partnering with the City of Toronto, the Ontario Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management and other local organizations to share the preparedness message with families across the province during Emergency Preparedness Week.
IBC's top 10 tips to help prepare your family for an emergency are:
- Create an emergency preparedness plan.
- Assemble disaster safety kits for your home, car and office.
- Be sure to have at least 2 litres of drinking water per person a day for up to 72 hours.
- Know your home's exits and nearby safe meeting locations.
- Speak with your neighbours to plan ahead and share responsibilities.
- Make sure your contact lists for work, school and attending to any special health care needs are up-to-date.
- Prepare a detailed home inventory.
- If you are away for an extended amount of time, have someone check your property daily and, in the winter, clear snow from the walk and driveway.
- Put all important documents in a safe place and ensure they are accessible should you need to evacuate.
- Ask your insurance representative about coverage for specific events.
This week, IBC will participate in the following events to pass along these tips to families:
- Ontario Public Service Emergency Preparedness Week Kick-off
- May 2, 2016
- 900 Bay St.
- 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- 26th Annual Emergency Response Day
- May 4, 2016
- Gemini Sportsplex, 667 Adair Blvd, Strathroy
- 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Sarnia Emergency Preparedness Day
- May 6, 2016
- Clearwater Arena, 1400 Wellington St., Sarnia
- 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- City of Markham Emergency Preparedness Week
- May 7, 2016
- Angus Glen Community Centre, 3990 Major Mackenzie Dr. E., Markham
- 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
For further information about emergency preparedness and IBC's partnerships during Emergency Preparedness Week, follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau or visit ibc.ca.
About Insurance Bureau of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.
P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 120,000 Canadians, pays $8.2 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $49 billion.
For media releases and more information, visit IBC's Media Centre at www.ibc.ca. Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau and @IBC_Ontario or like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.
If you require more information, IBC spokespeople are available to discuss the details in this media release.
SOURCE Insurance Bureau of Canada
For further information: To schedule an interview, please contact: Ariella Kimmel, Manager, Media Relations, 416-362-2031 ext. 4312, email@example.com