OTTAWA, March 9, 2016 /CNW/ - This morning, Hydro Ottawa was recognized at the 2016 Employer Council of Champions Summit and Awards conference as an Employer of Excellence in the National Capital Region.
The annual Employers' Summit is a premier event that brings together more than 100 business, government and civic leaders in a program designed to engage participants in a dialogue about the effective integration of skilled immigrants into the labour force, and to celebrate employer excellence in Ottawa.
Hydro Ottawa believes that diversity is essential to putting our customers at the centre of everything we do. By embracing a talented workforce that is reflective of the diversity of the communities we serve, we will better understand the needs of our customers and offer additional customer value.
- The Employer Excellence Awards recognize local employers for their innovative workplace policies and practices around the recruitment and integration of skilled immigrant employees into their organization.
- Up to four awards are presented annually as determined by an independent selection committee made up of Human Resource executives and/or professionals, and other stakeholders from the National Capital Region.
- Hydro Ottawa is involved at a grass roots level with several community organizations to discuss emerging issues and share best practices as they relate to new Canadians and employment. For example, Hydro Ottawa partners with Ottawa's YMCA-YWCA's Power of Trades pre-employment training program, designed to help internationally-trained tradespeople and immigrants access jobs and pathways to Ontario certification in skilled trades.
- Internal initiatives at Hydro Ottawa include a Diversity Plan that focuses on a wide range of diversity groups including women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, youth, LGBTQ communities, First Nations, and new Canadians, as well as Respect in the Workplace training for all employees and training on Leading a Diverse Workforce for leaders.
- Hydro Ottawa advertises all career opportunities with the YMCA-YWCA who then shares the opportunities with local immigrant-serving organizations. Hydro Ottawa has also enhanced its application and screening methods to ensure the inclusion of skilled immigrants.
- Hydro Ottawa has been recognized with numerous awards recently including the National Capital Region's Top Employers, Canada's Greenest Employers, Canada's Top Employers for Young People, Canadian HR Award for Best Talent Management Strategy, and a Best Ottawa Business Award for Human Resources Performance, among others.
"The quality of our workforce is a result of the importance we place on diversity and inclusion, and our relationships with several community organizations that strive to aid immigrants in securing meaningful employment. By fostering an inclusive culture that leverages diversity in everyday business we are enhancing engagement and innovation – all key to attracting, retaining and engaging employees with diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds."
- Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa's core businesses are delivering electricity, generating renewable power and providing energy conservation/management services. Hydro Ottawa is a community-owned, private company, delivering electricity to more than 325,000 customers in Ottawa and Casselman. It is the largest municipally-owned producer of green power in the province, with hydroelectric and landfill gas-to-energy generating facilities. Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) owns and operates two subsidiary companies, Hydro Ottawa Limited and Energy Ottawa Inc.
SOURCE Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
For further information: Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 345, firstname.lastname@example.org