THORNHILL, ON, March 5, 2015 /CNW/ - You've booked your March Break getaway, renewed your passport and even bought new luggage for the family vacation, but before you pack your bags, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding travellers to make sure your trip and your home are protected.
Travel insurance is essential and should always be a part of your travel plans.
According to the Travel Health Insurance Association of Canada, one in five people visit a doctor's office or emergency room while on vacation and a trip to a hospital in the U.S. for a broken limb can cost up to $25,000 (USD).
Three reasons to make sure you're covered while away:
- A sudden illness prior to your trip forces you to cancel your vacation plans.
- You arrive at your destination, but your luggage is nowhere to be found.
- Trying exotic foods abroad can land you in the doctor's office with stomach troubles.
Before leaving on vacation, remember to also protect your home.
- Unplug appliances like coffee makers and toasters to ensure they don't cause a fire while you are away.
- Don't leave keys on a hook by the door because this is the first place thieves look and your car could be stolen in addition to household items.
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and securely locked.
- Make sure your home looks lived in, have your driveway plowed and ask a neighbour to park in your driveway.
- Use motion detector lights outdoors and light switch timers indoors.
- If possible, invest in a home alarm system.
- Don't broadcast your travel plans on social media.
CAA Travel Insurance is underwritten by Orion Travel Insurance Company. Certain exclusions, limitations and restrictions apply. A medical questionnaire may be required to purchase travel insurance.
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, automotive care, travel products, insurance services and member savings for more than 1.9 million members.
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.