OTTAWA, Sept. 26, 2016 /CNW/ - As part of a national consultation to strengthen the inclusion of all Canadians in our electoral system, the Special Committee on Electoral Reform will be in Victoria to identify viable alternate voting systems to replace the first-past-the-post system. Canadians interested in contributing to the study can share their views on electoral reform, online voting and mandatory voting by participating in the open mic sessions.
Tuesday, September 27, 2016
3:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. Witness Panel
4:15 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Witness Panel
6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Open mic session
Harbour Towers Hotel and Suites
345 Quebec Street, Victoria, British Columbia
See the Notice of Meeting for more information, including witnesses.
The meeting will be open to the public. Attendees must clear security and provide photo identification before entering the meeting room.
Members of the public who wish to speak at the open mic sessions must register on-site at least 30 minutes before the start of the session. The list of speakers will be determined on a first-come-first served basis.
A live audio feed will be available through the Committee's website.
- The Committee's mandate was set out in a motion adopted by the House of Commons on Tuesday, June 7, 2016.
- As of September 2, 2016, the Special Committee has held 23 substantive meetings and heard from nearly 60 witnesses, including the Minister of Democratic Institutions and the Chief Electoral Officer. Read transcripts of meetings.
- So far 2,800 Canadians have participated in an online consultation launched on August 19, 2016.
- An Update on the Special Committee's Study on Electoral Reform was published on September 6, 2016.
- The Committee invites Canadians to share questions and comments on Twitter using the hashtags #ERRE #Q.
SOURCE House of Commons - Special Committee on Electoral Reform
Image with caption: "Special Committee on Electoral Reform (CNW Group/House of Commons - Special Committee on Electoral Reform)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160926_C7606_PHOTO_EN_780949.jpg
For further information: Christine Lafrance, Clerk of the Committee, 613-943-5365, ERRE@parl.gc.ca; Danielle Widmer, Clerk of the Committee, 613-943-5135, ERRE@parl.gc.ca