Horwath's reversal comes after documents released yesterday revealed the
NDP blocked two qualified candidates in April
QUEEN'S PARK, ON, May 4, 2014 /CNW/ - After making the lack of a new
Financial Accountability Officer the centrepiece of the NDP's rationale
for an election, Andrea Horwath was forced to admit yesterday that the
NDP shouldered the blame for stalling the hiring process.
Horwath admitted the NDP rejected two qualified applicants last month:
"The Liberals were the only ones that supported those candidates,"
Horwath said at her Hamilton Centre nomination meeting. (Hamilton Spectator, May 3, 2014)
Horwath's reversal was published after the NDP Campaign issued a press
release denying that the NDP stalled the appointment, and after Horwath
repeated the false claim in her nomination speech, and during a
television interview yesterday. (CBC News Channel, May 3, 2014)
"This is about the credibility of the NDP campaign. They told Ontarians
one thing, but now the NDP has admitted the facts don't support their
false claims," said Vaughan MPP Steven Del Duca. "I know because I was
there. I sat on the all-party hiring committee, I agreed to support
either qualified and experienced candidate, but the NDP rejected both
at the last minute."
"The NDP was part of the hiring process at every step. They helped
craft the ad, worked with non-partisan civil servants, helped narrow
down the applications - then turned around and rejected the two
remaining qualified and experienced candidates," said Del Duca. "The
NDP didn't own up to any of this until yesterday."
"The NDP should debate the facts. Ontarians deserve better than
shameless NDP politicking," concluded Del Duca.
Read more about the NDP stalling the FAO here: (LINK)
SOURCE: Ontario Liberal Party
For further information:
Ontario Liberal Party