Fundraising walks held on 500 cruises each year
SEATTLE, Feb. 3, 2016 /CNW/ -- In honor of World Cancer Day tomorrow, Feb. 4, Holland America Line is proud to announce that to date cruise guests and employees of the company have raised more than $4.7 million for cancer support through "On Deck" programming. The current On Deck for a Cause program benefits six international cancer organizations located in the United States, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.
On Deck invites guests to participate in a noncompetitive 5k fundraising walk during every sailing on each of the line's 13 ships, with hundreds of thousands of cruisers having walked in support of the program since its inception in 2006. Proceeds are distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Research UK, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) and KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society). Previously the program benefitted Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
"We sincerely thank all Holland America Line guests and employees who have generously donated to On Deck for a Cause and helped us reach $4.7 million to help fight cancer," said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. "Cancer is a disease that touches too many lives around the world. Through On Deck we will continue to help find a cure."
Guests of all ages are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line Foundation, with a minimum of 75 percent ($15) distributed to the organizations. The remaining 25 percent covers program and administrative expenses. On a day at sea, participants join in a 5k walk around the ship's decks. Guests may walk less or not at all, as they prefer. Participants also receive an On Deck for a Cause T-shirt and wristband and attend a post-walk reception. Depending on the ship, the distance to reach 5k ranges from nine to 12 laps.
In 2016, more than 500 On Deck for a Cause events will be held across the Holland America Line fleet on every cruise, with walks taking place in Alaska, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Bermuda, the Baltic, Canada and New England, the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Mexico, New Zealand, the Panama Canal, Hawaii and the South Pacific and South America.
Holland America Line Committed to Giving Back
Holland America Line and its corporate foundation's charitable-giving programs include cash sponsorships, in-kind donations, free- and reduced-fare cruise donations for nonprofit fundraising events, donations of usable shipboard items around the world, employee volunteerism and other philanthropic activities.
For more information about Holland America Line, consult a travel professional, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit hollandamerica.com.
Editor's note: Photos are available at https://www.cruiseimagelibrary.com/c/18clapc9.
Follow and share with Holland America Line on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and the Holland America Blog.
About Holland America Line [a division of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE: CCL and CUK)]
Holland America Line's fleet of 13 ships offers more than 500 cruises to more than 400 ports in 98 countries, territories or dependencies around the world. From shorter getaways to 115-day itineraries, the company's cruises visit all seven continents with highlights including Antarctica explorations, South America circumnavigations and exotic Australia/New Zealand and Asia voyages; four annual Grand Voyages; and popular sailings to the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, Canada/New England, Bermuda, Europe and the Panama Canal. The line currently has a new 2,650-guest ship, ms Koningsdam, on order for delivery in April 2016, as well as a second Pinnacle Class ship due for delivery in November 2018.
The company recently announced $300 million in brand enhancements to secure its position at the leader in premium cruising. Fleetwide, the ships feature innovative initiatives and a diverse range of enriching experiences focused on destination immersion and personalized travel. Guests can expand their knowledge on board at the Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine magazine; Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times; and Digital Workshop powered by Windows. Outstanding entertainment fills each evening at venues including Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard Onboard and B.B. King's Blues Club. The dining experience can be savored at a variety of restaurants with menus that feature selections from Holland America Line's esteemed Culinary Council that comprises world-famous chefs who design dishes exclusively for our guests.
CONTACT: Sally Andrews
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130930/SF88951LOGO
SOURCE Holland America Line