ESPOO, Finland, Dec. 1, 2016 /CNW/ -
- HMD Global enters the market today, to create a new generation of Nokia branded mobile phones through an exclusive 10-year brand licensing agreement
- Effective immediately, HMD will own the existing Nokia branded feature phone business, providing global market reach and scale
- HMD Global leadership team announced; ambition to become significant player in the global smartphone market
- Strategic partnership model with leading industry players and world-class expertise to bring the very best Nokia mobile phone experience to global consumers
- New Nokia smartphones on Android operating system available in H1 2017
A new and exciting chapter in the story of Nokia branded phones begins today as HMD Global Oy ("HMD") - the new home of Nokia phones enters the market. Finnish company HMD will bring a new generation of mobile phones to consumers, with the first smartphone products set to be launched in the first half of 2017, alongside the existing Nokia branded feature phone business.
The launch of HMD comes just six months after the company signed a strategic licensing agreement with Nokia, giving HMD exclusive use of the Nokia brand on mobile phones and tablets worldwide for the next 10 years.
With a leading position in the feature phone market already, HMD has a significant global foothold including Americas, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa, India and China from day one. This scale, coupled with a world-class and highly experienced leadership team positions HMD for a truly accelerated start.
HMD has developed a unique strategic partnership model that will see it working with some of the world's leading technology companies including Nokia, FIH Mobile Limited (FIH) and Google. Future Nokia smartphones will utilise Google's Android operating system, currently deployed on 86% of the world's smartphones.
A cornerstone of HMD's partnership model is an agreement with FIH, a global consumer electronics manufacturing and technology powerhouse that will manufacture Nokia branded mobile phones and tablets, guaranteeing quality of manufacture and innovation at scale as well as giving access to FIH's world-class R&D capability.
HMD is developing an exciting new consumer centric product range which will focus on innovation, quality and experience, alongside the iconic Nokia mobile phone attributes of design, robustness, and reliability.
The company combines the agility and attitude of a start-up business with the expertise of some of the industry's most experienced and passionate senior leaders. The HMD Global team is headed by CEO Arto Nummela and President Florian Seiche. Together, they will forge a new chapter in the story of Nokia mobile phones with the support of an experienced leadership team made up of talent across multiple markets.
Arto Nummela, CEO of HMD Global, said:
"Today marks a happy and important day for HMD. Nokia has been one of the most iconic and recognisable phone brands globally for decades. The excitement of re-introducing this much-loved, well-known and trusted brand to smartphone consumers is a responsibility and an ambition that everyone at HMD shares.
"Driven by the extremely positive reception we have received since HMD was announced earlier this year, we are excited about building the next chapter for Nokia phones. We see this as a brilliant opportunity to solve real life consumer problems and to deliver on the quality and designs that the Nokia brand has been always known for. Our talented and passionate team is uniquely placed in this modern setup to deliver our promise of reliable, beautifully crafted and fun Nokia phones for consumers across the globe."
Florian Seiche, President of HMD Global, said:
"We believe that the time is right for renewal in the mobile industry. The market is fatigued and flooded with undifferentiated products. Consumers are looking for technology with clear purpose that is useful, exciting and with a brand they can trust, so our approach will focus on true, core user experiences and a dedication to quality.
"With our passionate team, start up attitude, a brand with a 95% worldwide awareness and a unique, asset light partnership approach, we believe we are perfectly placed to forge a new way in mobile."
Brad Rodrigues, Interim President of Nokia Technologies, said:
"We've been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm shown around the world for the return of the Nokia brand to smartphones. The HMD Global team has the ambition, talent and resources to bring a new generation of Nokia branded phones to market, and we wish them every success. I'm sure our millions of Nokia fans will be excited to see their new products!"
Samuel W. L. Chin, Chairman of the Board, HMD Global, said:
"Today marks an exciting moment for all those involved in this venture. As one of the Founders of HMD Global it has been very satisfying to oversee the launch of our business through the completion of a number of agreements. Through the hard work of all involved we can now move forward with our new business, a new approach to the category and a fresh start for Nokia mobile phones."
About HMD Global
Headquartered in Espoo, Finland, HMD Global Oy is the new home of Nokia phones and tablets. HMD designs and markets a range of smartphones and feature phones targeted at a range of consumers and price points. With a commitment to innovation and quality, HMD is the proud exclusive licensor of the Nokia brand in mobile phones and tablets. Samuel W. L. Chin is Chairman of the Board and a Founder of HMD Global. Samuel was formerly Chairman & CEO of Foxconn International Holdings, a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. For further information see http://www.hmd.global.
The HMD Global leadership team, announced today, comprises:
- Arto Nummela is the Chief Executive Officer at HMD Global. Previously, he was Vice President at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group in Greater Asia, Middle East and Africa region. Arto joined Nokia in 1994 and had broad range of positions from product creation, portfolio and business management to sales and marketing including all the regions in the world.
- Florian Seiche is President of HMD Global. Former Co-Founder of HTC's branded smartphone business and Global Director of Orange Devices. Most recently he has been Senior Vice President at Nokia and Microsoft, responsible for the Sales and Marketing of Mobile Device in the Europe Region.
- Anssi Rönnemaa is the Chief Finance and Commercial Officer at HMD Global. Previously, he was Finance Director at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group and Head of Finance at Nokia IMEA.
- Pekka Rantala is the Chief Marketing Officer for HMD Global. Former CEO of Rovio Entertainment, he has over 20 years' experience working in the mobile industry. Previously he was the Senior Vice President of Marketing at Nokia.
- Juho Sarvikas is the Chief Product Officer at HMD Global. This role sees Juho go back to his Nokia roots in product creation, looking after HMD products from concept to launch as well as defining product strategy for the company. He moves to HMD from Microsoft, where he was the Global Head of the Feature Phone business.
- Pia Kantola is Chief Operating Officer at HMD Global. With over twenty years' experience in the software, telecom and automation industries Pia was Senior Director of Product Management at Microsoft and Vice President of Customer Logistics at Nokia.
- Oliver Schulte is Chief Strategy & Business Development Officer at HMD Global. He joins the company from Bullitt Group Ltd., where he was the CEO of the Mobile Division. Previously he was the Vice President of Commercial Operations at HTC EMEA.
- Jari Koljonen is the General Counsel at HMD Global. Previously, he was the Director Legal and Corporate Affairs at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group as well as the Regional Compliance Director, India & MENA at Microsoft Office of Legal Compliance. He was the Director of Legal and Corporate Affairs IMEA at Nokia.
- Tiina Topal has been appointed Vice President Human Resources at HMD Global. Previously, she was HR Director for North Africa, Eastern Mediterranean and Pakistan at Microsoft and HR Director for IMEA at Nokia.
- James Rutherfoord will be Vice President Asia Pacific at HMD Global. Previously, he was the General Manager APAC at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group and Vice President North Africa, Levant and Near East at Nokia.
- Nestor Xu is the Vice President Greater China at HMD Global. Previously, he was the General Manager of Greater China at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group and Head of Sales at Nokia China.
- Ajey Mehta is the Vice President India at HMD Global. Previously he was the Country Manager for India at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group and prior to that, Head of Sales Operations for India, Middle East and Africa at Nokia.
- Per Ekman is the Vice President Middle East & North Africa at HMD Global. Previously he was Head of Sales Operations Europe at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group and Head of Finance at Nokia APAC.
- Justin Maier will be Vice President Sub Sahara Africa at HMD Global. Prior to joining, he was Head of Sub Sahara Africa at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group and Head of Marketing for South and East Africa at Nokia.
- Alberto Matrone is the Vice President Eastern Europe at HMD Global. Previously, he was General Manager for Central East Europe at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group and Vice President at Nokia Central East Europe
- Jon French is the Vice President West Europe at HMD Global. Previously, he was General Manager at Microsoft Mobile Devices Sales group in Asia Pacific. Jon started his career in Nokia in 1997 and worked for Samsung and HTC in the UK. He was Vice President at HTC Europe and Middle East and Africa.
- Maurizio Angelone is the Vice President Americas at HMD Global. Previously he was at Lenovo where he helped the company to establish its newly launched smartphone business unit in the Latin America region and at Motorola as Corporate Vice President and General Manager EMEA. He also led Nokia's LATAM division as Senior Vice President.
SOURCE HMD Global
For further information: HMD Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cohn & Wolfe: +44(0)20-7331-5305