TORONTO, May 17, 2016 /CNW/ - As summer hits, Canadians are heading to the lake, to the deck and to the garden to soak up heat. CSA Group, a leading standards development organization and global provider of testing and certification, shares its top tips for keeping safe while outside enjoying summer activities:
- Fresh air. Never light a stove or lantern indoors, in a tent or in a vehicle, and never use a barbecue in a garage! Ever. To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, fuel-burning equipment should only be used in well-ventilated areas. Ensure that certified carbon monoxide and smoke alarms are tested and properly installed outside all sleeping areas of your cabin, cottage or boat.
- Stay cool. Keep loose, flammable clothing away from open flames and carefully monitor children and pets around stoves and lanterns. Before packing up equipment, make sure it is completely turned off and cool to the touch.
- Grill it. Before firing up the grill for the first time this season, carefully inspect burners and burner tubes for blockages due to dirt, grease, insects, nests or rust build-up. Clean or replace any blocked parts or have a certified technician make repairs. And remember: propane tanks must be inspected and re-qualified every 10 years in Canada and every 12 years in the US. A date stamp on the cylinder indicates when it was last qualified. If yours has passed its best before date, recycle it properly.
- Inspect your gadgets. When opening your cabin, cottage or rustic retreat for the season, carefully inspect all appliances and wiring for damage from rodents, insects or moisture.
- Get equipped. Ensure boats, cabins and cottages are equipped with proper safety equipment in the event of an emergency, including first aid kits and fire extinguishers.
- Stay alert. Always wear a personal flotation device and never consume alcohol or intoxicants before or while operating a watercraft – or any vehicle.
CSA Group has a lot more tips to help keep you safe. For more tips and to learn about us, please visit www.csagroup.org.
About CSA Group
CSA Group is an independent organization dedicated to safety, social good and sustainability. Its knowledge and expertise encompass standards development; training and advisory solutions; global testing and certification services across key business areas including hazardous location and industrial, Transportation, plumbing and construction, medical, safety and technology, appliances and gas, alternative energy, lighting and sustainability; as well as consumer product evaluation services. The CSA certification mark appears on billions of products worldwide. For more information about CSA Group visit www.csagroup.org.
SOURCE CSA Group
For further information: Allison Hawkins, Manager, Corporate Affairs, CSA Group, 416-747-2615, firstname.lastname@example.org