LAVAL, QC, July 9 /CNW Telbec/ - The Smog Alert issued since Monday, July 5 is now over. According to Environment Canada's data, the air quality is now within acceptable standards. The STL therefore wishes to thank all riders who took the bus, instead of their cars, and who, in so doing, helped improve the air quality. The single-trip fare is consequently back to normal ($2.75).
The results of this Smog Alert will be announced on Monday.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20 million runs annually.
- The overhaul of the bus network, made necessary by the extension of the
metro to Laval, gave rise to a 28% increase in service, faster trips
and more direct bus routes.
- The frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends,
has doubled on 12 lines since August 2009.
- The fare policy is particularly designed to encourage families to use
public transit: All adults paying their fare on weekends and holidays
may be accompanied, free of charge, by up to five children age 11 and
under. This policy also applies to every day in the summer, July 1 -
Labour Day. In addition, the STL's $1 fares on summer smog days are a
first in Québec.
- It is also partnering with the Association québécoise de lutte contre
la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and The Carpooling Network to
promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5.
- The STL has its own page on Facebook, where it announces service
notices, and it is also on Twitter.
- The STL offers riders the opportunity to register on MySTL to receive
notices on its bus routes that they usually take.
- Since the roll-out, in 2009, of its vehicle scheduling control system,
the STL's on-time performance has been on the rise, to over 92%.
- In February 2010, STL President Jean-Jacques Beldié received the
Guy-Chartrand award, in the Public Transit Development and Improvement
SOURCE Société de transport de Laval
For further information: For further information: Marie-Céline Bourgault, Director, Communications & Marketing, Société de transport de Laval, 450 662-5429, firstname.lastname@example.org