HALIFAX, Sept. 22, 2016 /CNW/ - Eastlink announced today that the Nova Scotia-headquartered company will contribute $690,000 to the local certified independent production fund administered by the Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund, in support of Nova Scotia's TV production industry.
"As a company proudly rooted in Nova Scotia, we look for ways that we can make meaningful investments back into the local economy and encourage continued growth in our home province," said Lee Bragg, Eastlink CEO. "We were pleased to learn this summer that the Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund was officially certified by the CRTC; we look forward to seeing what local projects will benefit as a result."
Eastlink has contributed $3.9 million over the last 6 years to a local Independent Production Fund in Nova Scotia, which has provided opportunities for local producers and filmmakers to do what they love doing right here in Nova Scotia, including past examples such as "The Book of Negroes".
"This investment is welcome news," said Minister of Business, Mark Furey. "Eastlink's contribution will benefit private-sector businesses in Nova Scotia's film and television community and help create jobs and economic growth in Nova Scotia."
About the Canada Media Fund: Canadian telecommunications providers are required to invest a portion of their revenue in Canadian TV Production, of which 80% is required to go to the Canada Media Fund. The remainder can be directed to any other Certified Independent Production Fund at the company's discretion.
About the Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund: A not-for-profit entity incorporated by Nova Scotia Business Inc. and certified as an independent production fund for the purposes of administering the Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program. Designed to finance Nova Scotian television productions, this program can provide an equity investment of up to $300,000 to a maximum of 20% of the total budget. This Fund can help bring animated and/or live-action TV series to life.
- The only national telecommunications company headquartered in Nova Scotia
- Over 1,000 of the company's 1,500 employees are based in Nova Scotia.
- Canadian Customer Care Centre located in NS serving Eastlink customers in NS and across Canada
- Operates 16 retail locations across Nova Scotia.
- Invested in excess of $1B in Nova Scotia over the last 15 years.
- Eastlink delivers the most advanced communications and video entertainment services including its recently announced flagship streaming service - Eastlink Stream - Gig Internet, award-winning LTE wireless, among many others.
- Earned PCMag's Fastest Mobile Network Award as the fastest and most reliable network in NS and PEI, for the past three years and recognized as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies, 10 years running.
Image with caption: "Logo: EastLink (CNW Group/Eastlink)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160922_C8568_PHOTO_EN_779651.jpg
For further information: Media Contact: Jill Laing, 902.446.1939, firstname.lastname@example.org