EDMONTON, May 1, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) and the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor), announced the federal Drywall Support Program is now open for applications. Applications will be accepted until May 31, 2017.
This program provides drywall contractors and builders in Western and Northern Canada with compensation for elevated drywall costs due to anti-dumping duties imposed on imported drywall from the United States. Additionally, the Program supports homeowners in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB) whose homes were severely damaged or destroyed by the 2016 wildfires and are now facing higher rebuilding costs. This is part of the Government's continued commitment to protect middle class jobs by ensuring fairness for entrepreneurs in Western Canada.
WD and CanNor are pleased to administer the Program and disburse approximately $12 million in relief to those heavily impacted by higher drywall costs. To find out more about the Program and how you can apply, please visit WD's website: https://www.wd-deo.gc.ca/eng/19331.asp
- In February 2017, Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced the Government of Canada will use the anti-dumping duties collected on imported drywall to provide support to builders and contractors in Western and Northern Canada, as well as residents in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
- Eligibility criteria for drywall contractors/builders:
- Must own a drywall contracting or building business with less than 500 employees and be based in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, or the Northwest Territories;
- Provide proof of fixed price contracts entered into prior to September 6, 2016;
- Provide proof of drywall purchased between September 6, 2016 and February 24, 2017;
- Disclose the amount of the loss that was passed onto others.
- Eligibility criteria for RMWB homeowners:
- Must have owned a home located in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo that was severely damaged or destroyed by the May 2016 wildfires;
- Have intentions to rebuild a home within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
"The Government of Canada is committed to ensuring the competitiveness of our businesses and to supporting those impacted by natural disasters. The Drywall Support Program will help SMEs and middle-class families access the resources they need to create jobs and maintain a good standard of living."
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
Follow us on Twitter: @WD_Canada, @MinisterISED, @RMWoodBuffalo
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
TTY (telecommunications device for the hearing impaired): 1-877-303-3388
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.
SOURCE Western Economic Diversification Canada
For further information: Donna Kinley, Regional Communications Manager, Western Economic Diversification Canada, Telephone: 780-902-2984, Email: email@example.com