THORNHILL, ON, May 5, 2017 /CNW/ - With rain expected to continue over the coming 48 hours and water continuing to pool in parts of the GTHA, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding drivers to plan ahead, stay alert and exercise caution.
If drivers are out on the roads during this weather event:
- Do not drive through standing water. Attempting to drive through flooded streets may cause your engine to stall, your brakes to fail and even result in severe damage if you try to restart the engine.
- Even if the water appears shallow enough to drive through, don't try it.
- Plan your route to avoid low-lying areas if possible.
- Ensure your wipers are working and free of debris prior to driving.
- Open a window or turn on your heater to defog your windows.
- If you don't have to drive, stay off the roads.
Flood waters can potentially damage your vehicle's electrical and exhaust systems, wheel bearings and brakes, as well as your airbags. If you have driven through standing water, have a professional inspect your vehicle.
If your car stalls or you become stranded:
- Stay calm and pull off the road safely
- Note your vehicle's location. This will come in handy when calling for assistance
- If you must get out of your vehicle, watch carefully for oncoming traffic especially at night or in bad weather
- Never stand behind or directly in front of your vehicle, as you are at risk of being struck by drivers who might not see you
- If you CANNOT pull off the road, turn on your emergency flashers
If you feel your safety is at risk, call 9-1-1 immediately. CAA offers 24-hour roadside service, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
About CAA South Central Ontario
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, travel, insurance services and member savings for our over 2 million members.
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Kaitlynn Furse, Manager, Public Relations, P: (905) 771-3194, C: (647) 227-7559, E: email@example.com; Tony Tsai, Director, Corporate Communications, P: (905) 771-5813, C: (416) 254-2653, E: firstname.lastname@example.org