BURLINGTON, ON, Jan. 31, 2017 /CNW/ - The City of Burlington and the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) are working in partnership to launch an Internet performance test for the city.
Residents and businesses are encouraged to test their Internet connection by visiting https://performance.cira.ca/Burlington. The test will take only a few seconds.
- Burlington is committed to creating a city that grows – with strong job growth, modern transportation systems, an engaging community and a commitment to a healthy environment. Part of delivering on this promise means city officials monitor and evaluate the state of Burlington's infrastructure, including local broadband Internet speed and quality.
- Burlington's Internet Performance Test will provide businesses and residents with important information about the health of their Internet connection, while contributing data to a crowdsourced dataset that will allow municipal leaders to understand any gaps or areas of best-practice.
- The test displays results instantly on a map, allowing users to understand the geography of connectivity in their region.
- Ensuring that Burlington continues to have strong Internet services across the municipality will help connect residents to their city, connect the city to the global economy and ensure that Burlington continues to deliver the strong quality of life that its residents expect.
"As a city that grows, we need our infrastructure such as our internet to grow with us. More and more of our city services are available online for residents and businesses and our business and industry needs reliable, fast internet speeds to keep their competitive edge in the global market."
- Mayor Rick Goldring
"The information provided through this test will help identify areas in need of improvement as well as areas of strength for economic growth and development."
- Frank McKeown, Executive Director, Burlington Economic Development Corporation
"We know that the high-performance broadband Internet infrastructure is critical to ensuring continued competitiveness in the new global economy. Internet performance measurement can help companies understand the real competitive advantages of locating a business in your city. It can also help ensure that the baseline data is in place to help evaluate smart community projects and programs."
- Dave Chiswell, VP of Product Development at CIRA
About the City of Burlington
Burlington is one of Canada's best and most livable cities, a place where people, nature and business thrive. Sign up to learn more about Burlington at www.burlington.ca/enews
About the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. CIRA also develops technologies and services that help support its goal of building a better online Canada. The CIRA team operates one of the fastest-growing ccTLDs, a high-performance global DNS network, and one of the world's most advanced back-end registry solutions.
SOURCE Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)
To view this news release in HTML formatting, please use the following URL: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2017/31/c5181.html
For further information: Ryan Saxby Hill, Communications Manager, 613-316-2397, email@example.com