TORONTO, June 9, 2015 /CNW/ - Established in 1815, this year sees the 200th anniversary of Laphroaig® Islay Single Malt Scotch, the number one selling Islay single malt Scotch Whisky in the world. To commemorate this landmark celebration, Laphroaig is proud to announce a very special and limited release of Laphroaig 15 Year Old in the Canadian market that will be available in stores beginning June 2015 at an approximate retail price of $185.95.
A long revered expression in the Laphroaig range, Laphroaig 15 Year Old was originally launched more than 30 years ago, with a lower level of peat and a higher bottling strength of 43%. This combination gives the whisky a mellow, rounded taste, as briny orchard fruits add bite and depth, with the overall feel rich and smoky.
"We are very proud and excited to celebrate the 200th anniversary and legacy of Laphroaig," said Deepti Gurkar, Senior Brand Manager, Luxury Portfolio, Vodka and Liqueurs, BEAM Suntory. "Canadians have long embraced Laphroaig's signature smoky taste profile and we anticipate the 15 Year Old will be very well received."
Laphroaig Distillery Manager John Campbell decided to re-release this product, one of his long-time favourites, in celebration of Laphroaig's 200th anniversary. Beautifully made, Laphroaig 15 Year Old pays homage to the original edition, answering the call for its return by many long-term fans, while introducing new enthusiasts of Laphroaig to a whisky that they have yet to taste.
Laphroaig has been prompting opinions relating to the spirit's peated character for 200 years, garnering strong and interesting points of view through the years. Some of these varying opinions are featured in videos as part of the Laphroaig Opinions Welcome campaign, which can be viewed at www.laphroaig.com/opinions.
With the release of the 15 Year Old, Laphroaig will continue to welcome a multitude of different global perspectives on this distinct whisky with the launch of '200 Opinions Wanted' - a competition to celebrate the very best Laphroaig opinions from around the world.
Two-hundred of the most unique opinions will be displayed as individual tiles on the distillery wall and the authors of the very best of them will be rewarded with a trip to Islay to attend "Laphroaig Live;" a global whisky event held at the historic Laphroaig Distillery for the first time in nine years. The contest opens April 22, 2015 and closes July 31, 2015. 50 winners will be selected each calendar month throughout April 22nd to 31st July 2015 until a total of 200 winners have been selected, notified and announced. The 10 winners of the Prize to Islay (Scotland, UK) will be notified in July/August 2015. Contest entrants must submit entries at http://www.laphroaig.com/Opinions/ and follow the steps to write their own unique, winning description of Laphroaig for a chance to win.
In addition to the distillery's 200th anniversary, this year also marks the 21st birthday of Friends of Laphroaig, the brand's loyal group of fans and supporters. Much of this year's Laphroaig Live is designed with them firmly front of mind. All the more reason to celebrate!
LAPHROAIG 15 YEAR OLD TASTING NOTES:
A touch of water releases salted caramel, with signature Islay peat smoke underlying sweet orchard fruit aromas.
- Nose - Scents of grapefruit and fresh mint greet you when you first open the bottle
- Palate - The first taste is of pink peppercorns with light peat smoke and a soft dryness that resolves to the flavour of tobacco. Just a faint hint of the sea follows, testimony to 15 years of maturation next to the Atlantic Ocean.
- Finish - The prolonged mellow finish, with a smoky aftertaste, will ensure your experience is fulfilling and unforgettable
- Laphroaig is the No.1 selling Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky globally
- Unmistakable peat-smoke flavours are delivered by burning local Islay peat, containing unique traces of seaweed and heather
- One of only a few distilleries that still uses traditional malting floors and dries and infuses its own malt with the thick blue smoke from old peat-fired kilns
- The Friends of Laphroaig program keeps fans of the brand up to date with special offers and news from distillery manager, John Campbell. On signing up, members are allocated their own square foot of land on Islay, and their names are added to the members' book in the friends lounge at the distillery. Members who visit the distillery are invited to collect their 'rent' – a dram of Laphroaig. The community comprises more than 669,000 like-minded Scotch fans from more than 190 countries.
ABOUT BEAM SUNTORY INC.:
As the world's third largest premium spirits company, Beam Suntory is Crafting the Spirits that Stir the World. Consumers from all corners of the globe call for the company's brands, including the flagship Jim Beam bourbon and Yamazaki Japanese whisky, as well as world renowned premium brands including Maker's Mark and Knob Creek bourbons, Hakushu and Hibiki Japanese whiskies, Teacher's, Laphroaig, and Bowmore Scotch whiskies, Canadian Club whisky, Courvoisier cognac, Sauza tequila, Pinnacle vodka, and Midori liqueur. The company generates annual worldwide sales exceeding $4 billion excluding excise taxes.
Beam Suntory was created in 2014 by combining the world leader in bourbon and the pioneer in Japanese whisky to form a new company with a deep heritage, passion for quality, innovative spirit and entrepreneurial culture. Headquartered in Deerfield, Illinois, Beam Suntory is a subsidiary of Suntory Holdings Limited of Japan. For more information on Beam Suntory, its brands, and its commitment to social responsibility, please visit www.beamsuntory.com and www.drinksmart.com.
SOURCE Beam Suntory Inc.
Image with caption: "In celebration of its 200th anniversary Laphroaig is releasing Laphroaig 15 Year Old to the Canadian market in June 2015, for an approximate retail price of $185.95. (CNW Group/Beam Suntory Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150609_C7395_PHOTO_EN_17777.jpg
For further information: please contact: Christina Oreskovich, PRAXIS, 905.949.8255 ext. 288, firstname.lastname@example.org; Margaret Bourne, PRAXIS, 905.949.8255 ext. 222, email@example.com, www.laphroaig.com