LONDON, June 14, 2016 /CNW/ -
Clone Rival: Supercar racers take on fastest driving trial yet.
Challenged on the track to beat their digital clone.
Castrol EDGE Titanium Trial: #CloneRival
- Two world class-racing drivers meet their ultimate race track rivals... themselves.
- Drivers trained virtually at Titanium Lab on a cutting-edge simulator to record their 'Ultimate Lap'
- Extreme driving challenge pushes drivers' skill and performance to the limit to beat their ultimate digital clone on the real life race track.
- Supercars Aston Martin Vulcan and Koenigsegg One:1 take on one of the most difficult racetracks in the world for the challenge, Spain's iconic Ascari track, to mark the launch of Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR oil.
- Previous Titanium Trials have been viewed and followed by more than 400 million people across the globe.
- Neuroscientist Dr Jack Lewis observed the trial stages to break down the likely neurological behaviours of these high performance athletes as they operate under high pressure.
In Castrol EDGE's latest Titanium Trial, two world-class drivers pushed their skills and nerve to the limit as they face the toughest competitor of their careers… their digital clone.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160613/378495 )
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160613/378496 )
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160613/378497 )
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160613/378498 )
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160613/378499 )
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160613/378500 )
This is the fourth Trial from the Castrol EDGE Titanium Trials series and involves two of the most iconic supercars in the world; the Koenigsegg One:1 and the track-only Aston Martin Vulcan. The aim of the pioneering challenge is to pursue the ultimate driving performance, showcasing man, machine and oil like never before.
Castrol EDGE worked with ground-breaking virtual reality experts REWIND to develop and customize one of the world's best simulators to replicate the real race location; Spain's notorious Ascari race track.
Combining acoustics and a cutting-edge tactile feedback system, the simulator provides the immersive feeling of the engine, road and body impacts. The supercars were analysed comprehensively, taking into account tyre size and weight, car aerodynamics, weather conditions and even down-force at varying speed, ensuring that the simulator experience was as close to the real thing as can possibly be achieved.
The two drivers each recorded 10 virtual sessions at the Titanium Lab in London, before data of their best performances were fused together, creating their 'Ultimate Lap'.
Castrol EDGE teamed up with:
- Danish Koenigsegg test driver Christoffer Nygaard to drive the One:1, which is one of only 6 in the world, delivering an astounding power-to-weight ratio, previously thought impossible for a road car.
- British racing star and two times Le Mans winner, Darren Turner, who drove the all-carbon fibre Aston Martin Vulcan - one of only 24 such vehicles ever produced. Darren is one of only 7 people in the world that are trained to drive this supercar.
Boosted with Castrol EDGE in their engines, the supercar challenge took place at Spain's Ascari race track. The 5.425km long track includes 25 demanding and technical turns, elevation, camber changes, and airborne opportunities ensure that this track is notoriously hard to memorise and master.
To watch our two supercar drivers take on the ultimate challenge visit:
Darren Turner in Aston Martin Vulcan : http://castrl.co/CloneRivalAM
Christoffer Nygaard in Koenigsegg One:1 : http://castrl.co/CloneRivalK
The latest Titanium Trial was directed by the acclaimed "Jako" who has worked on action features including Fast & Furious, Gladiator and the Bond movies, including Spectre.
Under extreme pressure our drivers had to harness their skill and concentration to take on their Clone Rivals on the track. Throughout the high-speed lap their virtual competitors were visualised live via a state of the art heads-up display. It was an exceptionally close and high-octane challenge from the onset, but against all odds both drivers managed to beat their digital 'Ultimate Lap' on the very last nail-biting stretch of the race.
Describing his experience behind the wheel, Aston Martin Test Driver Darren Turner said: "Every aspect of the car and driver needs to be pushed to the limit when achieving the best lap times. When you're racing one of the world's fastest supercars using Castrol EDGE it gives you the confidence you need to push yourself and your machine to the extreme. Beating my best performance by 1.1 seconds gave me an incredible rush."
Koenigsegg Test Driver Christoffer Nygaard said: "I always knew that being confronted by my ultimate best potential was going to be a challenge. I pushed myself harder than I might against any other rival. Beating my digital clone, if only by a hairs breadth 0.8 of a second, was incredibly rewarding."
Renowned Neuroscientist Dr Jack Lewis observed the Clone Rival Trial and commented: "Extra adrenaline on the real track was almost certainly what gave them the edge. Huge releases of this hormone acts as the 'oil in their engines', helping brain and muscles to speed up reflexes as our drivers get 'in the zone' and beat their ultimate lap for real."
This Clone Rival Trial marks the launch of the latest pioneering and technologically advanced oil, Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR which provides the ultimate proof that Castrol EDGE oils are tested to perform.
For more information visit: http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/car-engine-oil/engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge/titanium-trials/titanium-trial-clone-rival.htm
SOURCE Castrol EDGE
For further information: email@example.com