GATINEAU, QC, Oct. 6, 2016 /CNW/ - The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, today presented the Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation to the following Ontario residents, honouring their contributions in the service of Canada's Veterans:
- Mrs. Gail Angel, Ottawa
- Mr. Michael Blow, Orleans
- Mr. Raymond Ross Compeau, Kingston (posthumously)
- Mr. James S. Gratto, Kingston
- Mr. Thurston Kaulbach, Nepean
- Mr. Marc Lapointe, Rockland
- Mr. Norman Winston McLoughlin, Petawawa
- Mr. Ian Moore, Kingston
- Mr. David W. Palmer, Nepean
- Ms. Mitzi Ross, Nepean
- Mr. John Robert Thomson, Kanata
Through their efforts, these citizens provide invaluable support to the Veteran community, promoting greater awareness of the sacrifices and achievements of Canada's Veterans and dedicating themselves to Veteran care.
"The Government of Canada is proud to recognize these selfless and dedicated individuals who have provided incredible contributions toward their communities and the lives of Canada's Veterans."
The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
- The Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation was created in 2001 by Warrant of the Governor General and with the approval of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- The governing policies call for it to be "...awarded to individuals who have performed commendable service to the Veteran community or individuals who represent commendable role models for their fellow Veterans."
- The Commendation consists of a certificate, a lapel pin for civilian wear and a bar for wear with decorations.
- The design is a gold maple leaf resting on a red poppy, a flower long associated with the sacrifices of war, with the Royal Crown on the top of the pin.
SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468, firstname.lastname@example.org; Sarah McMaster, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649